My posts to Tony Horton's list - 1

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 7 5:49 PM
      In order to preserve somewhat of an historical record that led up to
      Tony Horton's cowardly retreat from an open, honest discussion on Todd's
      affirmative regarding the evidence of age of some things, I am going to
      try and post here copies of the posts that were sent in to his debate
      list; a list he would delete in short order.

      My records may not be complete, but I think they will reflect the
      substance of what led up to the deletion of the list (Todd having been
      silent on the list throughout the afternoon and into the late evening).

      Here's my first post to the list:

      #########################

      From: rlbaty@...(Robert Baty)
      Date: Thu, Oct 6, 2005, 1:20pm

      To: Church_of_Christ_debate_forum@yahoogroups.com

      Subject: "Goliath of GRAS" - for debate!

      Here's the "Goliath of GRAS" for debate:

      Major premise:

      If God's word (the text) says
      everything began over a period
      of six days, is interpreted by some
      to mean it was six 24-hour days
      occurring a few thousand years ago,
      and there is empirical evidence that
      things are actually much older than
      a few thousand years, then the
      interpretation of the text by some
      is wrong.

      Minor premise:

      God's word (the text) says everything
      began over a period of six days, is
      interpreted by some to mean it was
      six 24-hour days occurring a few
      thousand years ago, and there is
      empirical evidence that things are
      actually much older than a few
      thousand years.

      Conclusion:

      The interpretation of the text by
      some is wrong.

      > Affirm: Todd S. Greene
      > Deny: Still waiting

      By way or preliminary considerations and concessions, it is proposed
      that it is a given that God's word (the text) says everything began over
      a periodof six days and it is interpreted by
      some to mean it was six 24-hour days occurring a few thousand years ago,

      This is the fundamental "young-earth, creation-science" position
      regarding the real world.

      The purpose of the formal discussion is to test the interpretation of
      the "young-earth, creation-science" movement with reference to the real
      world evidence.

      In other words, it is proposed that the real world claims made by the
      "young-earth, creation-science" promoters is falsifiable with reference
      to the actual, real world evidence.

      I will leave these and more other specific details to be worked out
      between Todd and whoever may be found to take up the negative.

      The only point in dispute as to the above "Goliath of GRAS" argument is
      the evidence of age.

      Todd is expected to affirm that there is conclusive empirical evidence
      that some things are much older than a few thousand years.