Re: [M & B] Phillips Street church "shuns" Marion Fox?

  • cassondrawrites@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2005
      This notice of withdrawal is wrong on so many levels that it is almost
      useless to attack it.

      First, they never state what has actually been taught and exactly how and
      why, SCRIPTURALLY, it cannot be accepted.

      Second, they refused to meet with Marion for fear of being recorded. Yes,
      Christian men ought to be able to sit down and talk to one another, but they are
      not doing that now either. Broadcasting a notice of withdrawal to the world
      because their terms of discussion could not be met sounds more like aggressive
      treaty negotiations than anything remotely scriptural.

      Third, there is not a trace of genuine love or affection in the letter. Love
      without truth is vain, but so too is truth without love. This is nothing but
      public posturing for the sake of drawing lines, garnering support, and
      declaring outcasts.

      Fourth, the final declaration that they will have no further communication
      with Marion until he repents. This is not at all what the Bible teaches. We
      are not to *fellowship* with those who are hardened in their sin. However,
      those of us who are spiritual (which I do realize probably does not include the
      authors of this little notice) are to snatch the sinners out of the fire, to
      entreat them as brothers and not as enemies, to use every means at our disposal
      to win them back. The Bible says nothing about edicts of silent treatment for
      those with whom we squabble. These guys probably learned that trick in grade
      school.

      I have no idea what Marion has taught and therefore cannot say whether he is
      right or wrong. But I can say that the way these men are handling the
      situation is absolutely wrong.

      I am so sick and tired of these rote notices that do not even pretend at
      genuine sentiment. They are often, as this one, written in the third person.
      They are used as means of covering one's self and preserving power rather than as
      earnest entreaties and pleadings for an erring brother to repent. Almost
      without exception, they include some ridiculous rule created by man such as "if
      he won't talk on my terms, then I'll just show him and disfellowship him
      outright," or even more common, "if this brother does not repent within two weeks,
      then he's out." Something about that magical two weeks. The man may have been
      struggling with his faith for months and been ignored by his supposed
      shepherds for longer than that, but if can't pull it together on our terms within two
      weeks, then that boy's out the door!

      No wonder we are splintered into dozens of different tiny factions. Even
      within the factions, we can't resist drawing imaginary lines in the sand and
      daring one another to leap over them.

      Pharisees, all.

      Cassondra