Phillips Street church "shuns" Marion Fox?

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 3, 2005
      From:
      http://www.okcsbs.com/women.html

      (excerpts)

      For the sake of Marion Fox and the brotherhood, we ask that those that
      have withdrawn from Marion give clear answers to these questions so that
      the subject at hand can be clearly seen by those that have not been
      personally involved.

      We also ask that, having stated plainly what they teach to be truth on
      the matter, these men be prepared to endorse someone to debate the
      matter.

      We should not make a matter a point of fellowship if we are not willing
      to defend our stance in open, public debate.

      The following post was sent to Marion Fox by the elders of the Phillips
      Street Church of Christ August 24, 2005.

      > August 24, 2005

      > Dear bro. Fox,

      > This is to notify you that we are
      > withdrawing fellowship from you.

      > This action is being taken because
      > of your teaching and attitude relative
      > to the issues we discussed with you
      > in the meeting we had with you in July.

      > We attempted to schedule a meeting
      > with you in the Oklahoma City area for
      > September 2, 2005. We stated we would
      > not allow recordings to be made of this
      > meeting. The reason for this decision is,
      > we feel Christian men should be able to
      > sit down and discuss differences, with
      > each trusting the others. Also, we did
      > not want this meeting transferred to
      > CD's and distributed over the brotherhood.

      > In your reply on August 22, 2005, you
      > stated you and bro. Williams would not
      > meet with us unless the meeting was
      > recorded. Based on this, we have
      > concluded there is no need to attempt
      > to set up further meetings.

      > This action of withdrawal is taken for
      > the following reasons:

      > > Your teaching on the
      > > Great Commission.

      > > The role of women teachers
      > > in the Church.

      > > The sowing of discord among
      > > the brethren.

      > Also, we deplore your decision to involve
      > many OABS students, some of who were
      > not even members of the Church.

      > We do not intend to continue
      > corresponding with you through email or
      > any other means until you repent.

      > Elders,
      > Bobby Diggs
      > Edgar Shults

      ############################

      My comments:

      It sounds pretty serious and that things have been getting worse instead
      of better as those fellows sought to resolve their differences and/or
      misunderstandings.

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 3, 2005
        While the Phillips Street elders appear to have indicated their
        preference for secrecy in the matter, it appears their letter is making
        the rounds rather speedily.

        I posted the following link to it (Marion Fox's website):

        http://www.okcsbs.com/women.html

        It can now be found at Gil Yoder's website:

        http://www.letusreason.com/GCWR/ART.ASP?article=mfwithdrawal

        I wonder where else it can now be found?

        I wonder, now that its rather public, whether the Phillips Street elders
        will be compelled to address the issue publicly; maybe just to complain
        about the publicity their letter has received and that they aren't going
        to talk about it publicly.

        Church politics?

      • Nelta Brock
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 8, 2005
          The thing that happened about the disfellowing of Fox is ungodly. How
          dare such unlearned men, who call themselves "elders", would do such a
          thing. Elders are not to do the disfellowshing anyhow. It is an
          individual matter.

          Of course the institution that has engulfed God's people has its own
          rules and regulations so they who run it can do what they please, as
          long as they don't want to get credit from God, because none of the
          institutional stuff is from God. Check it out.

          Nelta

          --- In Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com, rlbaty@w... wrote:

          > From:
          > http://www.okcsbs.com/women.html
          >
          > (excerpts)
          >
          > For the sake of Marion Fox and the brotherhood, we ask that those that
          > have withdrawn from Marion give clear answers to these questions so that
          > the subject at hand can be clearly seen by those that have not been
          > personally involved.

          snip some
          Nelta

        • Keith@Sisman.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 8, 2005
            I have friends on both sides, I am very sorry this has happened, it remains
            in my prayers.

            Keith Sisman
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 9, 2005
              Keith wrote, in relevant part:

              > I have friends on both sides,
              > I am very sorry this has
              > happened. . .

              Keith,

              I suppose we might opine that you, also, are "all for your friends".

              I am glad to have played a small role in helping some of the good
              brethren come to a knowledge of the way of truth more perfectly in the
              context of the present distress.

              Oh, it was only a small part, but that's about all I can manage when
              there are preachers involved.

              And you may recall that my "feeble attempt" was quite successful in this
              present context after years of trying and being ridiculed and indicted
              for the effort.

              Gil Yoder, at least, thanked me for helping him come to a better
              knowledge of the truth that he is attempting to teach this semester
              through the OABS.

              You remember, don't you Keith?

              Gil Yoder and others for years repeatedly claimed that hypothetical
              syllogisms should not be labeled as having "major" and "minor" premises
              as well as a "conclusion".

              Now Gil knows better and is thankful for my heretofore thankless effort.

              Who knows, if I could actually figure out where the real point(s) of
              contention was regarding those women, I could help those preachers get
              their act together on it.

              Keith, have you figured out if all your friends are wrong or which of
              your friends are on the right side?