Fearlessly Proving the Negative

  • mathewmaury <sqi7o0hh02@sneakemail.com>
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 19, 2002
      --- rlbaty wrote:

      > Let him first prove he is not Dr. William Maury Morris, II;
      > that's my suggestion.
      >
      > The poster seems to want to deny my claim, implying that it
      > may be true that Bert doesn't have anything to do with that
      > letter.
      >
      > Well, let him try to prove Bert didn't have anything to do
      > with that letter.

      It seems this list has lost another member today. Down to
      six. Where do they go? Can it be the multitudes are losing
      their fascination for these topics? The public can be fickle
      at times.

      You made the asservation: 'It is false that Bert doesn't
      have anything to do with that letter!' I requested some
      substantiation of the charge. Apparently there is no
      evidence. So I conclude it is only a vagary emanating from
      your wish that Thompson was concerned enough about your
      letter to the editor of CRSQ to become involved prior to
      your certification of it as your words.

      Does not the burden of proof rest on the claimant? What is
      your proposed resolution to your claim? Why should anyone
      accept your ipse dixit as believable?

      You issue the challenge 'to prove Bert didn't have anything
      to do with that letter.' You do not accept that Thompson is
      an honest man. So of course you would not accept his denial.
      What proof is left?

      Since ipse dixit is the standard, here is the proof:
      I say that Bert did not have anything to do with that letter.

      According to your implied rules of evidence, saying a thing
      is true makes it so. Your turn.

      You suggest I prove I am not the honorable Dr. William. What
      proof of my identity would you find acceptable? If I were to
      say I am an 11-year-old boy in Miss Mary's 6th grade class,
      would that suffice?

      As you are aware, the successful genius Matthew Maury is not
      the only notable nautical figure. I make no claim of
      identity other than the declaration made by another famous
      sailor man: 'I yam what I yam'.

      What difference would claiming any other identity make to my
      reception in this forum? I desire neither political power,
      personal wealth nor scholastic credentials to bedim or
      illume my writing. I prefer my writing to be weighed on its
      merits.

      I do not ferret out glory or vast audience. The entire
      membership of this list could fit into one restroom stall.
      (You could have the seat of honor.) While I could post to
      these threads on the creationism list, I find this little
      purlieu satisfactory.