Re: Banister stories!

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 28, 2005
      --- In Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com, rlbaty@w... wrote:

      > THE NEW YORK TIMES
      > June 24, 2005
      >
      > Protesters Win a Case Over I.R.S.
      >
      > By DAVID CAY JOHNSTON and CAROLYN MARSHALL
      >
      > The federal government's campaign against income tax protesters
      suffered
      > a major setback yesterday when a federal jury in Sacramento
      acquitted a
      > former Internal Revenue Service investigator on charges of helping
      > prepare false tax returns...

      I had an American Government professor who preached against the
      federal tax as unconstitutional. He was a wonderful speaker with a
      deep baritone voice. He had spent most of World War II behind an
      Army desk in India. He told some great stories about it, though.

      He also liked to tell about the time he met the Supreme Court
      Justice -- Rehnquist I think it was -- and asked him why sometimes
      the court said one thing and sometimes it said the opposite; did the
      Constitution *change?*, he asked. To which the Justice replied, "No,
      the Constitution doesn't change; the Justices do."

      My thoughts at the time were that if the Supreme Court was going to
      sit idly by while you got locked up for not paying your taxes, the
      federal tax would appear to be constitutional after all.

      Rick