Re: Dr. Brad addresses the situation!

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 28 7:15 AM
      http://www.apologeticspress.org/articles/396

      Inside A.P. and Lessons Learned
      by Brad Harrub, Ph.D.

      (excerpts)

      We have received a considerable number of phone calls and emails the
      last couple of weeks. Rumors and speculation abound concerning Bert
      Thompson's departure. Allow us to shed some light of truth through
      all of the confusion.

      We genuinely desire that our readers be given the facts regarding
      recent events that have transpired at Apologetics Press. Hopefully,
      this article will differentiate between fact and fiction.

      On Tuesday, May 24, 2005 the Board of Directors terminated A.P.'s
      affiliation with the Executive Director, Bert Thompson. This
      decision was the result of a cooperative investigation by A.P.
      personnel and two close friends of the work who uncovered instances
      of long-term, deep-seated personal sins in his life.

      No other staff member of Apologetics Press had knowledge of Dr.
      Thompson's actions.

      Once the A.P. board, the supervising elders, and the staff became
      aware of the situation, there was agreement that the problem must be
      dealt with swiftly and decisively. While this tragedy is sorrowful,
      it is gratifying to know that faithful men of God were willing to
      stand up for what is right. Too often, individuals simply "stick
      their heads in the sand" and hope a situation rectifies itself.
      However, these men had the courage to do what was necessary to
      remove sin from the camp. We deeply regret that this circumstance
      has occurred, and our prayers continue to go out to any who may have
      been adversely affected.

      We are happy to report that Dr. Thompson has publicly confessed his
      sins, and is currently undergoing counseling.

      My comments:

      Looks to me like the "rumors and speculations" just might be
      possessed of more truth than what has been "lit up" by Dr. Brad's
      offering above.

      If there are fictions going around that are of some concern, it
      would have been well to note what they are and what the truth
      actually is.

      Much more could be said about how Dr. Brad's effort falls short of
      what might be expected of an Apologetics Press that wants to be
      different from other organizations which have suffered similar shake-
      ups. Maybe others will want to discuss that here (I'm sure many
      will be talking about it elsewhere; i.e., the now-underground
      LURlist, for example). Maybe not.

      If folks can't handle the truth about something as simple as
      my "Goliath of GRAS", they are surely going to have trouble handling
      the situation at Apologetics Press.

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 28 7:35 PM
        The article is found at:

        Cassondra wrote, regarding the article:

        > You have to love the way men
        > claim to be shedding light on the
        > truth and banishing rumor while
        > saying absolutely nothing of substance
        > at all.

        > Supposedly public confession of
        > sin has been made yet no mention
        > is made of what those sins are.

        > In this statement there is a pretense
        > of honesty and transparency but no
        > substance of it, just a lot of self-righteous
        > blathering and self-congratulatory
        > hoo-ha about how well they have
        > handled who knows what.

        > They'd have done better to leave it to
        > the "rumor-mongerers;" probably would
        > have had more actual facts left in the
        > account.

        That looks to be rather well said and rather accurate.

        If the good brethren are going to show the world how different (better)
        "we" handle scandals when they come to our house, they seem to be off to
        a bad start.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 28 8:29 PM
          "Mathewmaury" writes:

          > --- Cassondra wrote:

          > > Supposedly public confession
          > > of sin has been made yet no
          > > mention is made of what those
          > > sins are.

          > And this is any of your business, why?

          James 3:1 comes to mind!

          I'm sure the experts will figure out other details as to why the public
          should be concerned about such conduct as brings down the high and
          mighty.

          It seems now that it is "our" turn to be examined on such issues,
          everyone wants to clam up under a guise of being "holy".

          We'll see how that technique works out as the story develops.

          As in politics, so in religion; it's not the "crime" so much as the
          "coverup" that follows that is the greater "evil".

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 28 8:45 PM
            The article, in part:

            http://www.apologeticspress.org/articles/396

            > Inside A.P. and Lessons Learned
            > by Brad Harrub, Ph.D.

            > On Tuesday, May 24, 2005 the Board
            > of Directors terminated A.P.'s
            > affiliation with the Executive Director,
            > Bert Thompson.

            > This decision was the result of a
            > cooperative investigation by A.P.
            > personnel and two close friends
            > of the work who uncovered instances
            > of long-term, deep-seated personal
            > sins in his life.

            > Once the A.P. board, the supervising
            > elders, and the staff became aware
            > of the situation, there was agreement
            > that the problem must be dealt with
            > swiftly and decisively. While this tragedy
            > is sorrowful, it is gratifying to know that
            > faithful men of God were willing to
            > stand up for what is right. Too often,
            > individuals simply "stick their heads in
            > the sand" and hope a situation rectifies
            > itself.

            > However, these men had the courage
            > to do what was necessary to remove
            > sin from the camp.

            Rick and Cassondra have voiced the following opinion:

            > IF anyone thinks this "sheds some
            > light" on the "lessons learned" at AP,
            > THEN the interpretation of the text
            > by some is wrong.

            I can't help but wondering about one of the "rumors"; which we saw
            evidence of in the observation of the AP webpages in our discussions.

            That involves Dr. Brad's actual involvement in the developing story.
            From what is written above, you would never suspect that it might have
            been Dr. Brad's walk-out that precipitated the dismissal of Dr. Bert.
            We did observe Dr. Brad dropping off the AP pages there for awhile;
            though the details are no longer clear.

            Did Dr. Brad have to walk-out before the powers that be at AP took
            action? Is there some other explanation for what happened when Dr. Brad
            appeared to leave AP?

            When Dr. Brad says they took action when they became aware of the
            situation, does he mean he had to walk out before they really got the
            message on what the situation was?

            We may never know! Many will know, but many will keep their secrets;
            we've already seen that technique in play.

            Come to think of it, wasn't it the keeping of the secrets about Dr. Bert
            by those in the know that led up to this?

            If "Mathewmaury" is right on, then maybe such things should be kept
            secret. Maybe the real power players amongst us will resolve that
            question as this story plays out.