Todd's letter to Manly Liscombe!

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 26, 2005
      Hi, everyone.

      Because of an article advocating young earth creationism that Manly
      Luscombe has posted on the Athens Church of Christ (Athens,
      Tennessee) website, I just sent the following email to Manly...

      To: "Manly Luscombe" <minister@...>
      From: Todd Greene

      Subject: Discussion/Debate on YEC open to Manly Luscombe

      Date: June 26, 2005

      Hi Manly Luscombe,

      I invite you to discuss the following propositions, either in informal
      discussion or in the format of a formal debate (written or
      spoken):

      > Proposition: The empirical evidence
      > shows that the Earth has been in
      > existence substantially longer than
      > one hundred thousand (100,000) years.

      > Proposition: The empirical evidence
      > shows that the Universe has been in
      > existence substantially longer than
      > one hundred thousand (100,000) years.

      Those are stated as I would affirm them. Here I also state them as you
      would affirm them (if you are an advocate of the doctrine of young earth
      creationism):

      > Proposition: The empirical evidence
      > shows that the Earth is less than one
      > hundred thousand (100,000) years old.

      > Proposition: The empirical evidence
      > shows that the Universe is less than
      > one hundred thousand (100,000) years
      > old.

      Feel free to discuss how you might change the wording of these
      propositions if you don't happen to like the particular way I've
      stated them.

      Currently I'm active in a relatively new online discussion group at this
      internet address:

      You can view the "coCBanned" posts archive here:

      Note the "coC" in the link address. The list owner, Nathan Greene, is a
      member of the Church of Christ and I believe all of the list
      moderators (there are several of them) are members of the Church of
      Christ. (In addition, the list owner is a young earth creationist,
      and I believe all of the list moderators are young earth creationists.

      Also, I am not a member of the Church of Christ, but I'm a former
      member.)

      I invite you to discuss the issue of young earth creationism in that
      discussion forum, and should you wish to use the form of a formal debate
      in written form we could also use that discussion forum, or I can
      facilitate things further by setting up a specific Yahoo discussion
      forum where you and I are the sole
      members allowed to post to the group (though the posts archive would be
      a publicly viewable list on the internet).

      While I have mentioned the "coCBanned" online discussion group in
      particular, I will meet
      you in any online discussion forum of your choosing to discuss the
      subject of young earth creationism.

      Please note that I treat all communications and discussion related to
      this subject as "open to the public," as is this note I have written to
      you, which will have a copy posted in the "coCBanned" discussion group.

      You can, of course, write to me at my email
      address, but I'm letting you know up front that I will place a copy of
      any correspondence to me *related to this subject* in the "coCBanned"
      discussion group. I don't carry on these kinds of discussions in secret
      or private.

      Regards,
      Todd Greene
      http://www.geocities.com/greeneto