Dave Miller and the fun rhetoric of young earth creationism

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 5, 2005
      Hi, everyone.

      A couple of years ago, Dave Miller, who is currently the new
      executive director of Apologetics Press, wrote an article using the
      typical young earth creationist rhetoric that taking science
      seriously leads to all the evils of the world (apparently Dave thinks
      these evils didn't exist before science came along!) at this page
      http://www.apologeticspress.org/articles/2254 .

      Let's pretend for a moment that Dave was writing this same article
      in, say, the year 1682, in which case, he would have written it
      something like this...

      The assault of humanism upon the American mindset in the last half-
      century has taken a dreadful toll on our culture. Its atheistic
      tentacles have invaded virtually every facet of social life:
      politics, education, entertainment, medicine, industry, and yes,
      religion. The church has not eluded its grasp. Evidences of
      humanistic influence in the church may be seen in the fluctuating
      attitudes toward morality, authority, worship, and fellowship.

      One prominent manifestation of humanistic influence in the church is
      the tendency to make concessions to the theory of heliocentrism. Even
      Christian college science professors have been seduced by pseudo-
      scientific "proof " that the Earth revolves around the sun.
      Heliocentrism's survival as a credible viewpoint depends upon a
      mechanistic view of the solar system. This circumstance has created a
      climate in the scientific community in which those astronomical
      methods that support a heliocentric Earth receive preeminence, while
      those that support an unmoving Earth are effectively ignored.

      Once a Christian accepts the idea of a revolving Earth, he
      automatically is placed in a position where he must abandon a literal
      interpretation of those biblical statements telling us the Earth does
      not move. He must reject the statements that the Earth cannot be
      moved (or accept some other compromising concept such as the Metaphor
      Theory, "Phenomenological Language" Theory, etc.). Historically, in
      their frantic need to maintain their own credibility as a valid
      academic discipline, liberal theologians reevaluated their views of
      the Bible, and altered their assessments in order to accommodate the
      mechanistic, naturalistic framework of science. Consequently, the
      accounts that God has firmly established the earth and that the Earth
      cannot be moved, and that He had Joshua command the Sun to stand
      still (not the Earth) have been stylized as "figurative"
      or "metaphorical" or "phenomenological" language. It is incredibly
      naïve to think that Christians can use these terms to refer to the
      literal statements of the Bible, and there be no connection with
      liberal theology, a mechanistic, naturalistic view of the world, and
      a devaluated view of the inspiration of the sacred Book.

      Once the biblical text is compromised, once the obvious meaning of
      Scripture is whitewashed in order to make its teaching more palatable
      and in step with secular culture, once Scripture is adjusted to fit
      human ideas rather than human ideas being adjusted to fit Scripture —
      the battle has been lost and Satan has won. No one should be
      surprised if our children have enough sense to see it, and to live
      accordingly.

      Of course, Satan's evil heliocentric plot has won a virtually total
      victory, since almost all Christians today have been undermined by
      accepting the fact that the earth revolves around the sun, and any
      Christian who seriously thinks otherwise is considered by other
      Christians to just not have a clue and to be mired in quite
      antiquated notions. Isn't young earth creationist rhetoric so fun?

      Chuckling,
      Todd Greene
      http://www.geocities.com/greeneto
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 5, 2005
        Todd wrote, in part:

        > A couple of years ago, Dave Miller,
        > who is currently the new executive
        > director of Apologetics Press, wrote
        > an article using the typical young earth
        > creationist rhetoric. . .

        > Let's pretend for a moment that Dave
        > was writing this same article in, say, the
        > year 1682, in which case, he would have
        > written it something like this...

        > (snip, snip)

        Todd,

        That was a very good paraphrase of the article. Reminds me of a tactic
        I once used. Very effective, I think.

        However, don't you think you need to start referring to Dave Miller as
        Dave Miller, Ph.D. or Dr. Dave?

        Hmmm, I was just wondreing if Dave Miller is goiong to be copyrighting
        "Dave Miller, Ph.D. like Dr. Bert appears to have done?

        You know, in my own limited involvement in thees things, I don't have to
        imagine how Dr. Dave might have said things a few hundred years ago.

        It was only a few years ago that Dr. Dave was down the street where the
        son of Thomas B. Warren, Ph.D. was preaching at the time and putting
        that Matthew Maury story over on my daughter.

        I think he left off our discussions that he was going to do with Maury
        what Dr. Bert said he was recently going to do with that "Rock 'n Reel"
        story; keep researching it.

        I don't recall if Dr. Dave ever gave up his Maury claims. Since he's
        now taking over at Apologetics Press (maybe being in charge of
        dismantling it?), maybe one of his first orders of business ought to be
        going through the A/P records and disclosing what information they have
        regarding Dr. Bert's source for his Maury statue claim, whether such
        records reveal Dr. Bert's knoweldge and involvement in the demise of my
        first discussion list, and whether such records reveal the "rest of the
        story" regarding those CRSQ letters and Dr. Bert's knowledge that I did
        not write what Dr. Bert called my "feebla attempt".