Smith v. Yoder logic debate!

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2005
      Gary Smith in his logic debate with Gil Yoder has posted another note
      (public archive) at:

      It is quite technical, but he sums up at the end with:

      > It is here that Gil is misunderstanding
      > the idea of "implication" and propositional
      > proofs. Many logicians, good ones, have
      > fallen victim to a misapplication or
      > misunderstanding of the truth tables for
      > conditional sentences or statements.

      I found that rather interesting, for in the case of my own logic expert
      (that I have referenced on occasion when dealing with the formal stuff)
      he has, in his truth table section, lamented the fact that someone
      dreamed up "truth table" to describe the exercise designed to test the
      validity of arguments.

      Maybe that is part of the problem Gil had with understanding his error
      on the amino acid sequence syllogism.

      Gil has tried to cite Copi in support of whatever it is he's been trying
      to say, and Gary appears to be trying to explain where Copi has gotten
      things wrong regarding the topic under consideration.

      How about that, an "appeal to authority" issue where one side of the
      debate is alleging the "authority" has gotten it wrong.

      Could be an interesting debate if it continues and we can make some
      sense out of it.