Re: Mars Approach - for Todd?

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 3, 2005
      --- In Maury_and_Baty, Cassondra wrote (post #6233):
      > Todd,
      >
      > As our resident astronomical expert, I thought you might know
      > something about this...didn't we already do this? I remember
      > dragging my kids out in the middle of the night to see what was
      > supposed to Mars' nearest approach...even wrote a poem about the
      > silly thing...and now it's supposed to be even closer?!?
      >
      > feeling fooled ;o)
      >
      > Cassondra

      Hi, Cassondra.

      Maybe you got some old information? You were correct about 2003.

      Check out this article at Space.com about the distances between Mars
      and Earth:

      Orbital Oddities: Why Mars will be So Close to Earth in August
      (Jan 21, 2003)
      http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/mars_orbit_030121-1.html

      The Mars-Earth opposition this year will NOT be anywhere near as
      close as it was in 2003. And the comment about Mars looking as large
      as the Moon is a bit silly. Mars simply appears more brilliant at
      these times than at others, and certainly never looks more than like
      a most brilliant orange star (to the naked eye).

      In 2003, the opposition distance was 34.65 million miles, which was
      the closest in about 60,000 years. In 2005, the opposition distance
      will occur on November 7 (no rush yet to go out and buy your hot
      dogs, chips, and coke or beer), and will be about 43.7 million
      miles - which is about 9 million miles farther than it was in 2003.

      And if you want to get more technical, just take a glance at this
      page:

      http://www.imcce.fr/en/observateur/support/opposition_mars/index.php

      Regards,
      Todd Greene

      P.S.: Each time I've gone camping up by Lake Superior I've come home
      with a few plastic milk jugs full of the most beautiful stones and
      pebbles! It is like an addiction!