Re: [M & B] Re: Holy Spirit positions!

  • cassondrawrites@aol.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 2, 2005
      Dear Rick,

      It's a sickness with me, I guess....I did indeed bring back rocks. I have
      rocks from just about every place I to which I travel, under every bed in my
      house and even in my car . They are such powerful witnesses, I can't resist
      them. Ah, well...to each his own obsession....Robert has his Maury, and Cassondra
      her rocks. ;oD

      Thanks for your reply on the Holy Spirit. It seems like what you're talking
      about is God being active in your life on a personal level in terms of
      guidance and direction, possibly also richer spiritual understanding, rather than
      revealing new doctrines or controlling your actions. Do I understand you
      correctly?

      Cassondra

      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 3, 2005
        --- In Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com, cassondrawrites@a... wrote:
        > Dear Rick,
        >
        > It's a sickness with me, I guess....I did indeed bring back rocks.
        I have
        > rocks from just about every place I to which I travel, under every
        bed in my
        > house and even in my car . They are such powerful witnesses, I
        can't resist
        > them. Ah, well...to each his own obsession....Robert has his
        Maury, and Cassondra
        > her rocks. ;oD
        >
        > Thanks for your reply on the Holy Spirit. It seems like what
        you're talking
        > about is God being active in your life on a personal level in terms
        of
        > guidance and direction, possibly also richer spiritual
        understanding, rather than
        > revealing new doctrines or controlling your actions. Do I
        understand you
        > correctly?

        Hi, Cassondra.

        If you're as obsessed with your rock collection as Robert is with
        Maury, you probably need to have your children taken away from you...

        Just kidding, y'all -- that's in reference to what's going on in the
        news right now.

        About your question on the Spirit:

        Guidance and direction - yes.

        Richer spiritual understanding - yes.

        Revelation - yes.

        Controlling actions - depends on how you want to look at it. Suppose
        the Spirit says, "Stop and pick up this hitch-hiker"?
        But if you mean taking possession of you and flopping you around like
        a rag doll, no. What would be the point of that? It is for
        edification, not confusion, and all things should be done decently
        and in order.

        You know, y'all, there really *is* Something Real at work here. From
        my first post on CFTF I told them I was following a miracle. It's no
        accident I showed up here when I did. And it all got started when I
        found a really nice rock -- an Early Archaic spearpoint -- last
        Christmas. You can't even look up information about the people and
        animals of the southeastern United States during the Late
        Pleistocene/Early Holocene without running into a bunch of
        creationist nonsense and Mormon apologetics.

        I had always figured the idea that the Earth was some few thousand
        years old was pretty much a thing of the past, and we were just
        waiting for the old folks to die out so we could adjust our
        viewpoint, and go on from there. I thought of young-earth
        creationism as benign ignorance (Bro. Buff). But what I found on the
        web, trying to look up my spearpoint, was far from benign ignorance.
        It is a very intelligent evil. Through the Spirit, I see this
        plainly, because this stuff is not of the Spirit that is in me. It
        is important than non-believers know that. This is not what
        Christianity is all about; this stuff seeks to destroy what
        Christianity is. It seeks to publicly discredit our Holy Scriptures
        with its arguments. And it's a merchandizing scam to boot. They've
        all got to go. I haven't waited all these years for the old folks to
        die out to have them replaced by these purposefully ignorant
        Pharisees who would divide matters so fine that they cannot even tell
        you straight-up how to be saved.

        Rick Hartzog

        Worldwide Church of Latitudinarianism
      • cassondrawrites@aol.com
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 3, 2005
          Dear Rick,

          Okay, you've thoroughly piqued my interest now. You say that you receive
          revelation from the Holy Spirit. What do you mean by that? You pointed out
          earlier that religions like the Mormons and others are plainly not of the same
          Spirit because their message differs so markedly. ( I realize that is a gross
          summation, but hopefully it conveys the gist of your meaning.) If the Spirit is
          conveying new revelations, however, would that not necessarily change the
          message in some noticeable way? I do not agree with the idea that the Bible is
          insufficient and that men continue to require ongoing new revelations.

          About the Spirit's control...I *was* referring to the "ragdoll" effect. ;o)
          As long as you still have a free choice to do good or evil, to be a positive
          force or a negative one, then you are not being compelled to act.

          Thanks for your thoughts!
          Cassondra

        • Hilbert Ault
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 3, 2005
            --- In Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com, "w_w_c_l" <w_w_c_l@y...>
            wrote:

            > I had always figured the idea that the Earth was some few thousand
            > years old was pretty much a thing of the past, and we were just
            > waiting for the old folks to die out so we could adjust our
            > viewpoint, and go on from there.

            Hilbert observes....
            Happy to disappoint you Rick, but God has always reserved a
            faithful few, and will continue to do so.
            Just what old folks are you referring to?
            All, unto this day, those that began when the word of God was given
            to the multitudes????
            Yes, I am sure there has always been "change agents" at work
            blaspheming the words of God. They are many today. You call those
            old folk's beliefs in the word of God, evil???
            Just how old is the new stuff that science refutes the creation
            account in the bible?
            200 years????
            Oh well. Change agents will always abound. God is true, and men are
            liars.
            Hilbert
            of God.
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 3, 2005
              --- In Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com, "Hilbert Ault" <hlault@y...>
              wrote to Rick, in part:

              > Hilbert observes....

              > Happy to disappoint you Rick, but God has
              > always reserved a faithful few, and will
              > continue to do so.

              > You call those old folk's beliefs in the
              > word of God, evil???

              > Just how old is the new stuff that science refutes
              > the creation account in the bible?

              > 200 years????

              > Oh well. Change agents will always abound.

              > God is true, and men are liars.

              If I didn't know that Hilbert was only around 73 years old, I would
              have guessed he was around making the same claims back with he would
              have been a geocentrist!

              We know men are liars, but I'm wondering if he's trying to propose
              that Dr. Bert was "lying" when he went around the country claiming
              there was that statue at the Naval Academy depicting Maury with a
              bible in one hand and that the CRSQ letter was my "feeble attempt".

            • Hilbert Ault
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 3, 2005
                --- In Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com, "rlbaty50" <rlbaty@w...> wrote:
                > If I didn't know that Hilbert was only around 73 years old, I would
                > have guessed he was around making the same claims back with he would
                > have been a geocentrist!
                >
                > We know men are liars, but I'm wondering if he's trying to propose
                > that Dr. Bert was "lying" when he went around the country claiming
                > there was that statue at the Naval Academy depicting Maury with a
                > bible in one hand and that the CRSQ letter was my "feeble attempt".

                Hilbert answers...
                I do not even know what a geocentrist is, and I could not care any
                less. I have nothing to say about Bert. He admitted wrongdoing, and
                the case of his former sins are of no interest to me.
                I have said before... I never cared about the statues or the fishing
                rod claims, or "so-called" scientific proof. My faith hinges on none
                of that. My faith is based solely on things unseen.
                Yet you are consumed by worldly matters, but I am consumed by
                spiritual matters.
                That is the big difference between you and I.
                I care not what you believe or teach, as long as you do not teach
                that the bible is false.
                You have done that, have you not??
                Well, it is the bible Jesus will judge you by.
                Hilbert

                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 4, 2005
                  wrote:

                  > Hilbert answers...
                  > I do not even know what a geocentrist is, and I could not
                  > care...

                  > I care not what you believe or teach, as long as you do not
                  teach
                  > that the bible is false.
                  > You have done that, have you not??
                  > Well, it is the bible Jesus will judge you by.

                  Rick:

                  I'm afraid you don't have any Scriptural backing for that last
                  remark, Hilbert. If you do I'd like to see it. Which version of the
                  Bible do y'all think Hilbert is talking about here?

                  I had written:

                  > I had always figured the idea that the Earth was some few thousand
                  > years old was pretty much a thing of the past, and we were just
                  > waiting for the old folks to die out so we could adjust our
                  > viewpoint, and go on from there.

                  Hilbert observes....:

                  Happy to disappoint you Rick, but God has always reserved a
                  faithful few, and will continue to do so.

                  Rick:

                  I'm happy to tell you I'm not disappointed to know that.

                  Hilbert:

                  Just what old folks are you referring to?

                  Rick:

                  If the show fits... ;-)

                  Hilbert:

                  All, unto this day, those that began when the word of God was given
                  to the multitudes????

                  Rick:

                  Absolutely not! (More below.)

                  Hilbert:

                  Yes, I am sure there has always been "change agents" at work
                  blaspheming the words of God. They are many today.

                  Rick:

                  Please don't imply that I am blaspheming God's Word, Hilbert.

                  Hilbert:

                  You call those old folk's beliefs in the word of God, evil???

                  Rick:

                  No! Not until it turns into purposeful ignorance. Never before in
                  the history of Christianity have we been faced with the issues that
                  are now before us. Finding out the Earth is round and that it orbits
                  the Sun were just little spats in the Church compared to this. Were
                  our forefathers evil for holding fast to the Word of God based on
                  their understanding of it? Absolutely not! But did they really
                  understand it the way we can? Did they ever see Israel restored as a
                  nation? Did they have any idea what Islam would become? Did they
                  have access to Greek and Hebrew lexicons on the internet? Did they
                  ever have to publicly defend their theology in front of the whole
                  wide world, instant by instant?

                  Hilbert:

                  Just how old is the new stuff that science refutes the creation
                  account in the bible?
                  200 years????

                  Rick:

                  Something like that, if you want to talk about modern western world.

                  Hilbert:

                  Oh well. Change agents will always abound. God is true, and men are
                  liars.
                  Hilbert
                  of God.

                  Rick:

                  You do understand, don't you, Hilbert, that as long as you teach a
                  young-earth theology you have no credible witness in the eyes of the
                  world? Do you think you can make someone who knows a little about
                  how they arrived at an ancient age for the Earth believe you that all
                  this is just a few thousand years old? How can you possibly? Just
                  by saying over and over that the Word of God is true and that men are
                  liars? I think the young people of today know an empty argument when
                  they hear one.

                  For example: let's ask Todd. Todd, who would you be more likely to
                  listen to about the existence of God, me or Hilbert?

                  See what I mean?

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 4, 2005

                    Cassondra wrote:

                    Okay, you've thoroughly piqued my interest now. You say that you
                    receive revelation from the Holy Spirit. What do you mean by that?

                    Rick:

                    Can you hear the praise for the Creator in birdsong? Or in
                    swampmusic at night?

                    Do you see the "joie de vivre" of being a squirrel?

                    Have you ever seen a cattle egret whisper a joke in a cow's ear?

                    Have you ever sat on the rim of a canyon and become lost in Time?

                    Or under the stars?

                    Have you ever done any of these, or anything like these, and been the
                    same person the next time you picked up your Bible to read God's Word?

                    Cassondra:

                    You pointed out earlier that religions like the Mormons and others
                    are plainly not of the same Spirit because their message differs so
                    markedly.

                    Rick:

                    They lead away from the Word of God rather than illuminate the Word
                    of God. When they start setting up men (or women) as divine
                    messengers, that's a red flag for me.

                    Cassondra:

                    If the Spirit is conveying new revelations, however, would that not
                    necessarily change the message in some noticeable way? I do not agree
                    with the idea that the Bible is insufficient and that men continue to
                    require ongoing new revelations.

                    Rick:

                    It changes your understanding of the message, yes, in noticeable
                    ways. It's called spiritual growth. The Bible, I will agree, is
                    quite sufficient. But you don't understand all of it. Nor do I.
                    Nor does Hilbert. And the way you understand it now is different
                    than the way you understood it as a child, which was different than
                    the way you understood it when you first became a Christian.
                    Certainly God has revealed many truths to you since you first began
                    your spiritual journey.

                    Cassondra:

                    About the Spirit's control...I *was* referring to the "ragdoll"
                    effect. ;o)

                    As long as you still have a free choice to do good or evil, to be a
                    positive force or a negative one, then you are not being compelled to
                    act.

                    Rick:

                    Well, I *felt* compelled to act, when I saw Satan prancing and
                    strutting around on the world stage with the cape of Christianity
                    draped about him. And you know what? I was afraid of him at first,
                    but I'm not anymore. I've found it very true that if you resist the
                    devil he will flee from you. Has anyone else on this list had that
                    experience? ;-)

                    Hand over the cape, devil, and let the world see you for what you
                    are. Boo! Ha!

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 4, 2005
                      Dear Rick,

                      You know, I really do hate the Internet! Just when I think I disagree with
                      you, you say aomething else and turn it all around! ;o) Face to face is so
                      much more efficient...but alas.

                      I agree that God has written on the heavens and the earth even as he has
                      written on the pages of the Bible, and that it is a sad, foolish blindness to
                      ignore the one revelation for the other.

                      When I was in college, I took a class on early American thought, which of
                      necessity involved a lot of theology. I was fascinated to realize that the early
                      Puritan preachers also believed in "reading the pages of Nature" to draw
                      closer to God; some were even amateur scientists who regularly engaged in research
                      and experimentation. They were rational men who recognized that the better
                      one understands the creation, the better one understands the Creator.

                      My previous opinion of the Puritans had been quite a low one, and of course I
                      still disagree with many of their teachings. However, I was impressed by the
                      fact that some early Protestants had believed that science and theology were
                      naturally related rather than hostile to one another, because that was NOT the
                      attitude of Protestantism that I saw today.

                      And yes, Rick, I agree that the devil does indeed flee. He will always
                      return and try to sneak back by a different route, but it is marvelous how suddenly
                      he melts away when once we summon that first rush of courage to oppose him.
                      Even the boldest and most powerful of lies shudder away in the face of the
                      truth: I suppose it is a sad statement on how few people actually seek and hold
                      to truth that so many lies hold sway today.

                      Cassondra

                    • Hilbert Ault
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 4, 2005
                        --- In Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com, "w_w_c_l" <w_w_c_l@y...> wrote:

                        > I'm afraid you don't have any Scriptural backing for that last
                        > remark, Hilbert. If you do I'd like to see it. Which version of
                        the
                        > Bible do y'all think Hilbert is talking about here?

                        Rev 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and
                        the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is [the
                        book] of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were
                        written in the books, "according to their works".

                        KJV

                        BTW.... What works????? God's, Jesus' or man's?
                        Hilbert
                      • cassondrawrites@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 4, 2005
                          Hilbert:
                          Rev 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and
                          the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is [the
                          book] of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were
                          written in the books, "according to their works".

                          KJV

                          BTW.... What works????? God's, Jesus' or man's?
                          Hilbert

                          Cassondra:

                          In this passage, the dead are judged by their own works, which are written in
                          the books. The book of life contains the names of the saved.

                          This parallels a verse in II Corinthians 5:10, where Paul states that each
                          will receive recompense for the things he has done in the flesh, be they good or
                          bad. We also see this in Ecclesiastes 12:14.

                          If you were looking for a verse that states that Jesus' teachings will judge
                          man, you can find that in John 12:44-50. I'm not sure that is what you were
                          trying to convey, though.

                          To be honest, I think I may have missed the point of your discourse here.
                          Maybe you could elaborate on what ideas you are trying to convey rather than
                          simply quoting scriptures and asking questions. ;o)

                          Cassondra

                        • Hilbert Ault
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 5, 2005
                            --- In Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com, cassondrawrites@a... wrote:

                            > In this passage, the dead are judged by their own works, which are
                            written in
                            > the books. The book of life contains the names of the saved.
                            >
                            > This parallels a verse in II Corinthians 5:10, where Paul states
                            that each
                            > will receive recompense for the things he has done in the flesh, be
                            they good or
                            > bad. We also see this in Ecclesiastes 12:14.
                            >
                            > If you were looking for a verse that states that Jesus' teachings
                            will judge
                            > man, you can find that in John 12:44-50. I'm not sure that is what
                            you were
                            > trying to convey, though.

                            Hi Cass,
                            he statement I made was...
                            >" Well, it is the bible Jesus will judge you by".
                            Do you disagree? What are the books that will be opened? Just one
                            book?

                            Message 13 of 19 , Jun 5, 2005

                              Hilbert wrote:

                              > Hi Cass,
                              > he statement I made was...
                              > >" Well, it is the bible Jesus will judge you by".
                              > Do you disagree? What are the books that will be opened? Just one
                              > book?

                              Cassondra:

                              > > To be honest, I think I may have missed the point of your
                              > > discourse here.

                              Cassondra's right, Hilbert: those books contain *our* works. There
                              won't be any need of any Bibles then, because THE Word Himself will
                              be standing right there, separating the sheep from the goats. (Maybe
                              some of you remember me saying to Todd once, "You watch; there's
                              going to be people standing there at Judgement with their King James
                              Bibles, fully memorized, to be used as evidence against God as if it
                              were a court of law.")

                              The point of the discourse seems to be a little boil-over from the
                              coCBanned list, where they're currently trying to figure out how to
                              get saved, or trying to remember when they got saved or something
                              along those lines.

                              Yes, Hilbert, we are judged according to our works. We will reap
                              what we have sown. Our works are built on the foundation of our
                              faith in Christ, and they will be tried by fire.

                              But all this stuff about, "Obedience, obedience, obedience" --
                              they're using the word like a stick to beat you over the head with.
                              And what, in the end, are they really talking about? Getting
                              baptized and having the Lord's Supper every week. Seems to be about
                              all they know how to do. They sure can't sing worth a rip, without a
                              rollicking southern piano. Jesus said His yoke would be easy, and
                              the burden light. Come up out of the waters celebrating, friends,
                              and glorifying God! That ain't work! And you get rewarded for it on
                              top of that?! It is no hard task to share the Lord's love.

                              Message 14 of 19 , Jun 5, 2005
                                Hilbert:
                                he statement I made was...
                                >" Well, it is the bible Jesus will judge you by".
                                Do you disagree? What are the books that will be opened? Just one
                                book?

                                Cassondra:

                                I thought I answered that in my post. ;o) The books that will be opened in
                                the passage you referenced include the book of life and the books in which are
                                recorded the deeds of man. Jesus makes it plain in the passage I referenced
                                that his words and God's teachings, ie, the Bible, will be the standard by
                                which those deeds are judged.

                                To speak beyond that would be idle speculation on my part. But I acknowledge
                                that just because God has revealed a few things to us, I do not suppose that
                                he has revealed all, merely all that we need to know.

                              • cassondrawrites@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jun 5, 2005
                                  Rick:
                                  Jesus said His yoke would be easy, and
                                  the burden light.

                                  Cassondra:

                                  Of course, Jesus is noted as the master of paradox. He also said that we
                                  must take up our cross and follow him, and he himself was known to stumble under
                                  such a cross.

                                  I do think that like the Pharisees, many of us focus on obedience almost to
                                  the exclusion of the faith that should naturally produce obedience. There is
                                  no fear in love, after all. Yet the love that the Bible professes is not
                                  simply one of mushy feelings and self-contentment: it is one of action and deed and
                                  service, both to my fellow man and to God himself.

                                  If our faith is real, then we need have no fear. Our love for God and truth
                                  will compel (ha - that troublesome word!) us to live righteously. Our God
                                  will be David's God, a shield and defender, a rock and a fortress and our only
                                  refuge whether the enemies face are without or within us, rather than a God who
                                  eagerly and mailiciously waits to pounce upon our every weakness.

                                • cassondrawrites@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jun 5, 2005
                                    Robert:
                                    That probably should not be confused with believing that we need to know
                                    all that has been revealed.

                                    If that were the case, we would all be in a heap of trouble.

                                    Cassondra:

                                    Touche! Point taken.

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jun 6, 2005
                                      Cassondra wrote:

                                      You know, I really do hate the Internet! Just when I think I disagree
                                      with you, you say aomething else and turn it all around! ;o) Face to
                                      face is so much more efficient...but alas.

                                      Rick:

                                      Alas, nothing!

                                      There is no telling how many women across America are sitting at
                                      their Keyboards pecking out bitter warnings against you even
                                      considering doing any such thing as arguing with me face to face.
                                      Slanderous lies, all of it! I can't help it if they can't face up to
                                      reality. And though face-to-face *is* an efficient way for me to
                                      quickly get on somebody's very last nerve and tick them right off,
                                      I've found that crying and screaming and walking away don't really
                                      forward the discussion much.

                                      So you just stay right there on the internet, Cassondra; and let
                                      whatever either of us agree or disagree with be a matter of written
                                      record. Might be a better way of getting over some of the bumpy
                                      spots.

                                      This accusation of turning things all around is one I'm quite
                                      familiar with. ;-)

                                      Rick