Re: Fox News & Alaska Bible College!

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2005
      --- In coCBanned@yahoogroups.com, rlbaty@w... wrote:
> [...]

      So speak ye, and so do, as they
      that shall be judged by the law of liberty.

      For he shall have judgment without mercy,
      that hath shewed no mercy; and mercy
      rejoiceth against judgment.

      What doth it profit, my brethren,
      though a man say he hath faith, and
      have not works? Can faith save him?

      If a brother or sister be naked,
      and destitute of daily food,

      And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace,
      be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding
      ye give them not those things which are needful
      to the body; what doth it profit?

      (James 2:12-16)

      The article says spending so far has amounted to about $20,000 per

      This is illustrative of one of the problems we in modern day churches
      have brought on ourselves through our own apathy.

      Whose side are we on? The poor, native kids or the admitted non-
      believers? "Freedom From Religion" doesn't sound all that appealing
      to believers in the first place, and isn't it right that native
      children who don't know about the Lord should be brought to the

      Ah, but...!

      Face it, Robert; we're all a bunch of latitudinarians. We say we
      believe the native children should be evangelized, but we don't go
      there and evangelize them. We pretend they don't exist. We never
      would have heard about them if this thing hadn't come up. If we
      believers had been up there doing our jobs, the native kids would
      have known how to study the Bible long before now. Think of it!
      Twenty thousand dollars is enough to pay for a bachelor's degree from
      an accredited institution in some places. It ought to be enough to
      cover a K-12 education. Maybe, maybe not, but the point is it is
      clearly way too much money, public or private, to be spending just to
      bestow a one-year "Bible certificate" on the graduates. It smacks
      of "pork-barrel" legislation slipping through under a cover of
      piety. The natives in Alaska need all the federal money they can
      get, I'm sure, if the federal government is going to annex them into
      its safekeeping and lovingkindness. But it all needs to be done
      aboveboard, if taxpayers' monies are being used, because spending of
      taxpayers' monies is supposed to be accounted for.

      According to the scriptures above, even the parts about being warmed
      and filled are the responsibility of the Church, long as they're our
      brethren and sistren, and we're leaving it up to the government to
      take care of that, too. I can just imagine Uncle Sam riding some of
      the backroads around here and handing out twenty grand's worth of
      education to every kid he saw. There's already plenty of churches
      where they can go and learn about the Bible if they want to, whether
      they're hungry or not.

      And maybe we can tie this back in to what's going on in Oklahoma,
      too. People up in the churches have been told there's plenty of
      evidence that contradicts evolutionary theory, and that there are
      other equally valid theories that offer explanations that take into
      consideration what happened after the Flood, and that evolutionary
      Theory must bow before thermodynamic Law, and so on and so forth; and
      they have believed it without ever looking into it for themselves.
      Many, to be sure, wouldn't understand it if they did look into it for
      themselves. (And these young-earth sites on the internet aren't
      helping matters any, friends!) But they believe there are valid
      alternative theories, theories that involve a Creator, and they are
      trying to shift responsibility for teaching those theories from the
      Church to the government.

      Well, you dance with the Devil, the Devil never changes.

      We should have rendered it all back to Caeser long ago, and served
      the One in Whose Image we are stamped. Could have avoided all this...

      Rick Hartzog

      Worldwide Church of Latitudinarianism