Re: Nostalgia - Todd & I!

    Message 1 of 6 , May 29, 2005
      So many notebooks, so little time. . .

      Yet. . .

      Todd had asked:

      > Perhaps Robert can remember the
      > pseudonyms (two of them) that guy
      > used.

      Not expecting much, I pulled a couple of the many notebooks off my shelf
      just to see if I could quickly find a reference to those things.

      Lo, and behold. . .there it was.

      So, I propose, Todd, that the names you were asking about were:

      > William C.
      > Jack Lewis

      Finding the name of the fellow who outed Dr. Bert and his secret letter
      was not there, and I didn't take the time to look further.

      I wonder if the WayBack machine would still have a link to the Internet
      posting of the letter, with Dr. Fox addendum.

      Maybe when and if I get the time I'll check that out.

      Message 2 of 6 , May 29, 2005
        David Proffitt!

        It was David Proffitt!

        That was the fellow's name who thought in his effort to "get Baty" that
        he would just put up Dr. Bert's secret letter on the Internet, with the
        Dr. Fox addendum.

        The original link address was:

        http://freecenter.digiweb.com/peope/dp2000/mccloud1.html

        I couldn't get the WayBack Machine to find it. Maybe someone else
        (geocentrist or not) can retrieve the page for us.

        As best I can tell, Dr. Fox has yet to endorse or repudiate the addendum
        implicating him in the secret campaign to "get Baty".

        Message 3 of 6 , May 30, 2005
          --- In Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com, rlbaty@w... wrote:

          > David Proffitt!
          >
          > It was David Proffitt!
          >
          > That was the fellow's name who thought in his effort to "get Baty"
          that
          > he would just put up Dr. Bert's secret letter on the Internet, with
          the
          > Dr. Fox addendum.
          >
          > The original link address was:
          >
          > http://freecenter.digiweb.com/peope/dp2000/mccloud1.html
          >
          > I couldn't get the WayBack Machine to find it. Maybe someone else
          > (geocentrist or not) can retrieve the page for us.

          Re: David Proffitt

          Could this be the guy? Pastor of Aletheia Church, member of the
          Southern Baptist Conservatives of Virginia?

          http://www.sbcv.org/areas/church_search/churches.asp

          They appear to allow musical instruments in worship service:

          http://www.aletheiachurch.com/index2.html

          Or what about this one, Sunday school director of Faith Baptist
          Church in Cullowhwee, NC?:

          http://www.main.nc.us/tba/faith/contact.html

          And then there's David Proffitt the Scout leader at Suber-Marshall
          Memorial United Methodist Church in Columbia, SC:

          http://www.subermarshall.com/cubscouts.html

          There is also apparently a David Proffitt who is the pastor of
          Licking River Baptist Church in Magoffin Co., KY:

          http://friendpages.com/cgi-bin/public/pages/cover.cgi?
          pageid=angelattitude

          Deacon of Maple Grove Christian Church in Charlottesville, VA:

          http://www.maple-grove.org/Staff.htm

          Or instructor of Physical Education and Religion at Marian Central
          Catholic High School:

          http://www.marian.com/GENINFO.HTM

          Also a few dead ones out there...

          Rick
          Message 4 of 6 , May 30, 2005
            Todd, you wrote (with some modification on my part), in part:

            > The problem is that these old,
            > discredited claims are regurgitated
            > in sermons, church bulletins, and
            > Bible class study materials year after
            > year and decade after decade by
            > people who have zero understanding
            > of the real science behind the issues.

            > So some poor kid like Darrell Broking
            > or David Proffitt comes along 50 years
            > after. . .and they read (this) moldy oldy
            > nonsense. . ., and so they just use them
            > in support of what they believe without
            > actually understanding any of the details
            > of the genuine science (and history)
            > behind the issues.

            > And the bigger problem is when someone
            > (not a geocentrist) else comes along who
            > actually knows something about the
            > science (and/or history) of the issue, and
            > he points out why the claim is in error,
            > and then - here's the big problem - Darrell
            > or David or whoever (i.e., Dr. Bert) it is
            > cannot bear to admit that he's made a
            > mistake, and so the YEC games begin!

            > As you know so well, this is the typical
            > pattern displayed by young earth
            > creationists.

            Todd, as you also know so well, my own classic example of what you are
            talking about has to do with that Maury story (and statue) that Dr.
            Bert helped popularize in my generation.

            Just a few minutes ago I "Googled" on "paths of the sea" "Psalm 8:8".

            Here's the first link and quote that came up:

            ###########################

            God of Science

            http://www.christiantrumpetsounding.com/god_of_science.htm

            The Paths of the Sea

            In the 1800s, Matthew Maury, an officer in the United States Navy
            believed his Bible.

            One day Maury was reading Psalm 8. He was amazed that verse 8 spoke of
            the fish and all creatures that swim in the "paths of the sea."

            "Paths of the sea"—how could this be? He never knew there was such a
            thing.

            He was determined to find them.

            Maury discovered that the oceans have many paths or currents, which were
            like rivers flowing through the sea.

            Maury wrote the first book on oceanography and became known as "the
            pathfinder of the seas"—"The father of modern navigation."

            Maury received his idea about ocean currents from reading Psalm 8:8
            which was written about 3,000 years ago by King David. David wrote as he
            was moved by the Spirit of God and probably never actually saw an ocean.

            ###########################

            Yep, I think it is the case that Dr. Bert and his kind have put plenty
            enough of that sort of thing out there that they could and should spend
            the rest of their careers trying to put a stop to the propogation of
            their errors.

            You've seen how little success I have had with my "feeble attempts" in
            trying to clean up some of their messes.

            Dr. Bert could start with something simply like just explaining where he
            did come up with his Maury statue claim.

            Dr. Bert might followup with his admission that he knows that the CRSQ
            letter was not my "feeble attempt" as he claimed over and over again.

            Dr. Bert might followup that with admitting and explaining his
            involvement in the demise of my first little discussion list.

            Dr. Bert might followup with a full disclosure of the secret removal of
            his moon-dust claims from his website.

            Dr. Bert might followup with a full disclosure of the extent to which he
            came to develop and circulate that secret letter about me and his
            knowledge and involvement regarding that addendum implicating Dr. Fox in
            his efforts to "get Baty".

            Dr. Bert might followup with. . . . . . .

            It will take some time, of course, but I am sure that after a few years
            of cleaning up his mess, Dr. Bert is going to feel a lot better about
            his retirement.

            My own starts July 1, 2005.

            If Dr. Bert doesn't get started on his mess, he may never get to retire.
            He'll just keep digging his hole deeper and deeper. According to the
            popular caricature and the way the preachers preach it, we have some
            idea where that will get Dr. Bert. I would rather he were headed the
            other direction.

            Message 5 of 6 , May 30, 2005
              Rick,

              If you go to:

              http://bcoc.truepath.com/links.html

              . . .you will find a link to the New England Churches of Christ which is
              supposed to include a discussion board.

              I think that is where all the excitement took place back in 1998/1999.

              I couldn't get the link to connect today; got a prompt saying it was too
              busy.

              So, I don't know if is is still up and running or not.

              I do think they've changed there procedure somewhat since Todd and I
              were there (hey, even Gil Yoder made some appearances during the heat of
              the battle).

              As for David Proffitt, at one time he indicated that his e-mail address
              was:

              > dp40@...

              I don't know if that was good or not. I tried sending some messages to
              that address and had some trouble. My recollection and records are that
              thorough.