Take a guess?

    Message 1 of 2 , May 6, 2005
      Who do you think the IRS person was that is implicated in the article
      following my name below and that helped Lakewood school resolve the
      penalty issues referenced in the article?

      ##################################

      ASBURY PARK PRESS

      May 6, 2005

      Lakewood school district has money entering its coffers

      IRS refunding $166,000 penalty

      By RICHARD QUINN
      TOMS RIVER BUREAU

      LAKEWOOD — True to the adage, good things came in threes for the
      school district during the past month.

      Everyone knew about the $99.5 million school budget that was passed
      by voters two weeks ago. But Thursday, the district disclosed that it
      is poised to get a $120,000 refund from the IRS — meaning the last of
      the $166,000 paid out last year in penalties will be refunded — and
      it will be getting a second chance at grant money it missed last
      school year.

      Board of Education President Chet Galdo credited district officials
      and professionals, specifically grant-writer Lisa DiEugenio and
      consultant Mark Seltzer, for the news.

      "They did a fantastic job," Galdo said Thursday. "It's very positive,
      that's for sure. We'll always have soothsayers who say no matter what
      we do, we're doing wrong. But we're going to aggressively go after
      these things."

      That aggression resulted in the recent news that the district will be
      eligible for reimbursement of money spent in 2003-04 on
      telecommunications services, through a federal grant program known as
      E-rate.

      The district had missed a deadline application for the program, said
      acting Superintendent of Schools Edward Luick.

      "We did not apply in a timely manner," he said. "We appealed, and we
      were eligible."

      A review of the district's telecommunications bills will be completed
      and then the district will know how much money it is eligible for,
      Luick said.

      District Business Administrator Kathryn D. Fuoto was harshly
      criticized in an independent auditor's report in March for improperly
      recording the E-rate grant.

      She also was criticized for allowing her office to miss deadlines for
      paying employees' federal withholding taxes for the last three
      quarters of 2003. Those missed deadlines cost the district $166,000
      in penalties and interest.

      Fuoto blamed the tax problems on a former payroll clerk. She also
      blamed a clerk when it was learned the district had not paid two
      years' worth of pension contributions for some employees. No pensions
      were affected, but the district has to repay the state an estimated
      $750,000, officials have said.

      Fuoto's problems led the school board last month to tell its
      attorney, Michael Inzelbuch, to start preparing tenure charges
      against Fuoto, the first step in the process to fire her.

      Frank Campbell, Fuoto's attorney, did not return a message to his Red
      Bank office. Galdo would not comment on whether or when charges would
      be officially filed.

      "They are being drawn up," Galdo said.

      Luick said $45,000 of the IRS penalty already has been returned to
      the district's coffers, and the administration has been told by the
      IRS that another $120,000 will be refunded.

      The district's former auditing firm of Hutchins, Farrell, Meyer and
      Allison — the firm was not reappointed at the Board of Education's
      organization meeting on Wednesday — had worked for the refunds, board
      officials have said.

      Even if the money is refunded, the fines' lingering impact may force
      Fuoto out of the district.

      "I'm very pleased for the fact that the E-rate and the IRS
      reimbursement happened," Galdo said. "But if we were doing our jobs
      properly . . . these things would not happen.

      Message 2 of 2 , May 6, 2005
        --- In Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com, "rlbaty50" <rlbaty@w...> wrote:
        > Who do you think the IRS person was that is implicated in the article
        > following my name below and that helped Lakewood school resolve the
        > penalty issues referenced in the article?
        >
        > Sincerely,
        > Robert Baty

        Ummm, was it Dr. Dino?

        Rick