If the rock grew within 100 years, why did no one see this?

    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2005
      For the record...

      From: Todd Greene
      To: mail@...
      Date: May 1, 2005
      Subject: If the rock grew within 100 years, why did no one see this?

      Hi Brad Harrub:

      I'm writing to you about your "A Young Earth: 'Fishing for Proof'"
      article that you published several weeks ago. (I've also been told
      that Bert Thompson has been using this story in his seminars.)

      I have to tell you that lately we've been enjoying a great deal of
      criticism and humor at your expense in regard to this article, in an
      online discussion group at

      At least one young earth creationist has been arguing in support of
      your contention, which is why we're still digging away at this one,
      so to speak.

      Anyway, I'm writing because I'd love to have your explanation on one
      point in particular which really, really, really doesn't make any
      sense to me.

      In your article, you wrote:

      | "We contend that the rock is not 300 million years
      | old, as evolutionists purport. Instead, it formed
      | recently, allowing a 100-year-old fishing reel to
      | become embedded during the process."

      Now, the fact is that Americans have been living in the Tellico River
      area for over 200 years. (The Cherokee - I happen to have some known
      Cherokee in my ancestry - were living there before that, but that's
      another story.) In all that time no one has ever observed rock layers
      (of phyllite or any other kind of rock) growing at the Tellico River
      (or upstream). Indeed, a few decades ago that area was also the focus
      of detailed examination because of a dam that was built there (so
      that now part of the Tellico River has become the Tellico Lake
      reservoir).

      So here is my question that I'd love to have your explanation for: If
      these layers of rock are forming there in less than 100 years as you
      say they are, then how do you explain the fact that no one has ever
      observed this and that what they *have* observed is that the river is
      pretty much the same as it has been for over a hundred years except
      for a little bit of additional erosion over the years and the
      formation of a lake (reservoir) due to the construction of the dam?

      I look forward to reading your explanation for this.

      Sincerely,
      Todd Greene
      greeneto@...