Re: A Literal Discrepancy

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 26, 2005
      The poll results apparently showed that:

      > Sixty-three percent (63%) of Americans
      > believe the Bible is literally true and
      > the Word of God.

      I wonder what the question actually was.

      From my perspective, such a proposal indicates that 63% of Americans
      don't have much sense about the Bible.

      To say the Bible is "literally true" is not particularly meaningful
      unless you want to find out that someone doesn't really know much
      about the Bible.

      Maybe they were just proposing that the Bible is true, literally
      (perhaps a redundancy thing); not that all its claims are literally
      true (i.e., Herod wasn't really a furry forest creature with a bushy
      tail, but he was still a "fox").

      So much for polls!