Huffard's ACU lecture!

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 26, 2005
      Dear Evertt Huffard,

      It was noted on a discussion list of which I am a member that your
      lecture at ACU was:

      > Facing the Power of our Own Culture

      It was also noted by the reporter that, as a contrast to Holladay's
      first century orientation regarding his presentation, that you:

      > take that and apply that
      > to our own situation.

      I was wondering how your development of that approach applied to "our
      own situation" regarding 1970, the year when the ACU schoolmen were able
      to get the federal government to change its course in how it saw the
      church and private schools operated by members of the church.

      ACU was able to successfully influence the federal government, through
      the efforts of Omar Burleson and George H.W. Bush, and obtain official
      recognition (contrary to the public claims of the schoolmen when dealing
      with churches and church members) of their private schools as being
      "integral agencies of the churches of Christ".

      The reporter indicated that you may not even be aware of this milestone
      in the history of the church. He wrote:

      > No Huffard did not mention that
      > epic date though I am sure if you
      > had pointed it out to him he would
      > have.

      I'm wondering if you are even aware of the 1970 turning point in our
      history and whether or not you would have, in fact, mentioned it had I
      thought to point it out to you prior to your lecture.

      Your attention to this issue and a response, for the record, would be
      appreciated.

      P.S. The reporter also suggested that if I ordered the CD's they might
      help me expand my horizon beyond 1970. I don't know about that. Not
      being one of the big fish in our little pond, 1970 is quite enough to
      for me to deal with, along with a few other issues like Dr. Bert's
      blockbuster claims this week regarding that "rock 'n reel" and the
      publicity the U.S. Tax Court thought to give me this week in its Baumann
      opinion.