UTC reply to Dr. Bert's claims!

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 24, 2005
      This is being reposted, after my deletions for the two earlier posts
      with this thread heading, in order to eliminate Mr. Carden's personal
      information from the archives, as he suggested was appropriate.

      Following my name below are the responses from UTC.

      #########################

      From: Ann-Holmes@...
      Date: Wed, Feb 23, 2005
      To: RLBATY@...
      Cc: habte-churnet@...

      Subject: Fwd: Article confirmation

      Dr. Churnet sent this email below in response to another person's
      inquiry and copied me; I am forwarding it on to you because of our
      telephone conversation and recent emails on the subject.

      ann holmes

      ###########################

      From: Habte Giorgis <Habte-Churnet@...>
      Date: February 22, 2005 6:15:36
      To: "Carden, David"

      Subject: Re: Article confirmation

      Mr. Carden.

      I walked by and briefly looked at something stuck in a phyllite. I was
      not at all interested in examining the piece. After a brief look, I had
      an opinion about how it might have been engineered in there.

      But the gentlemen who brought the piece seemed to be types that I would
      not readily disappoint by suggesting anthropogenic ways of achieving the
      task.

      I heard explanations for natural ways of placing the metal in the rock
      from my colleagues.  I departed from the scene after providing a joke
      to make my colleagues laugh.  I approached the object with disinterest
      and departed from it with the same attitude.

      I remain disinterested in the topic and the object.  The last time I
      read about the thing, a reporter placed my comment more accurately, as a
      tongue-in-cheek comment.

      Now, it appears that the same or another reporter is quoted or misquoted
      to present my meaning in a different fashion. They are entitled to their
      views, though misrepresentation is not to be encouraged.

      The metal piece is recent while the Tellico Plains phyllite was
      metamorphosed in the Paleozoic. How is a recent object stuck [engineered
      naturally or by humans to fit in] in an ancient rock is the question.

      To the extent that we are examining a man made metal piece in a rock I
      become disinterested in the inquiry.

      I do not know what I am supposed to confirm or deny. I thought that I
      would rather talk about the issue to honor your request.

      Thank you for causing me to read how some [use my statements] flatter
      me.  I wish they had sent me copies so that I would share them with my
      kids, and demonstrate the impact of my comments within a community.

      At least my comments facilitated the transmission of ideas, however
      wrong or right the ideas might have been.

      HG