Re: I AM AN ATHEIST

  • Tamara
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 6, 2005
      So if they remove "Atheists" from the name "Idaho Atheists", what are they
      going to call themselves? "Idaho"? LOL

      I'm not sure I understand this woman's point. I really don't think the
      average person respects an atheist any more than they respect any other
      belief system. For those with a strong feeling about it one way or the
      other, many if not most disrespect them for various reasons. So I think
      she's misinterpreting what others are really thinking simply because it
      makes her feel better about herself and her belief system, and not because
      it has any basis in fact or reality.

      Atheism is a belief system, by the way. It is the belief that there is no
      God, and all the implications that go with that. They just pretend like it
      means they have no belief system, and therefore are somehow superior to
      those with a religious belief (perhaps because they consider themselves to
      be "independent thinkers"?)

      There are a lot of independent thinkers who have decided that they believe
      in God. Atheists think that's an impossibility. That tells me they're less
      independent thinkers - since a truly independent thinker would allow for the
      possibility that other beliefs could also be correct - and far more
      closed-minded than they like to admit.

      Best,
      Tamara

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 6, 2005
        --- In Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com, "Tamara" <Legal_writer@h...>
        wrote, in part:

        > So if they remove "Atheists" from the name
        > "Idaho Atheists", what are they
        > going to call themselves? "Idaho"? LOL

        When the earlier note from Clyde reference "Idaho Atheist group", I
        was wondering if it included a discussion list.

        There is one! Here's the link:

        It does not appear to have public archives and very, very little
        activity; maybe only a couple of members.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 6, 2005
          --- In Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com, "rlbaty50" <rlbaty@w...> wrote:

          > When the earlier note from Clyde reference "Idaho Atheist group", I
          > was wondering if it included a discussion list.
          >
          > There is one! Here's the link:

          Their website looks more interesting at: