Re: Matthew Maury, a "traitor"?

  • cassondrawrites@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 6, 2005
      In a message dated 1/6/2005 7:26:46 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
      nib@... writes:
      Yes God gave the secular governements the right to do whatever it took
      to take care of the evil-doers. However, He did not give Christians
      the right to do so. Christians have a highter calling. They are to
      be lights to the world....that light being Jesus who lives in the
      Christians.

      That is an interesting argument. However, it would necessarily require that
      secular government and the armed forces consist entirely of wicked men. Aside
      from the disturbing consequences of that bizarre notion, the entire principle
      is ultimately self-defeating. Christians desire to spread the light of the
      gospel to as many souls as possible. If they succeed, then there will be
      no-one left who is now permitted to operate the secular government and protect the
      state. Thus, the more Christian the state, the more doomed it is to fail.
      This makes it in the best interests of the state to limit or prohibit Christian
      activity, so that the state might prosper. The Bible promotes the Christian
      as the ideal citizen, one who is to live at peace with his fellow man as much
      as lies within him and who is a strength to his government rather than a
      weakness. This protects the Christian from undue persecution. However, the
      conclusions of your argument practically require persecution from any reasonable
      government.

      Cassondra

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 6, 2005
        --- In Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com, cassondrawrites@a... wrote, in
        part, regarding Nelta's position:

        > (I)t would necessarily require that
        > secular government and the armed forces
        > consist entirely of wicked men.

        I think that is the position that Nelta has basically confirmed on
        her own list in recent days.

        Well, maybe she would allow for a Christian to be mailman or an IRS
        Appeals Officer, but policeman, soldiers and others. . .only wicked
        folks (i.e., non-Christians) should be involved in such things.

        I don't think she's made an "argument" as you indicated. I just think
        she's voiced her faulty opinion.