Re: Matthew Maury, a "traitor"?

  • Nelta Brock
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 5, 2005
      snip

      > Your link to Nelta's site is interesting. >

      You and all others on Robert's would be welcome on
      Christians_and_War-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Government has
      > the God-given authority to bear the sword to protect good
      > people. >

      Yes God gave the secular governements the right to do whatever it took
      to take care of the evil-doers. However, He did not give Christians
      the right to do so. Christians have a highter calling. They are to
      be lights to the world....that light being Jesus who lives in the
      Christians.

      But it also has the authority to wage only 'Just
      > War'. Very few of U.S. wars meet that standard. The
      > Revolutionary War and the Southern Defensive War are
      > examples of 'Just War'.>

      Actually, the secular governements can fight any war they see fit.
      That is THEIR business, not the business of the Christians.

      Nelta
    • cassondrawrites@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 6, 2005
        In a message dated 1/6/2005 7:26:46 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
        nib@... writes:
        Yes God gave the secular governements the right to do whatever it took
        to take care of the evil-doers. However, He did not give Christians
        the right to do so. Christians have a highter calling. They are to
        be lights to the world....that light being Jesus who lives in the
        Christians.

        That is an interesting argument. However, it would necessarily require that
        secular government and the armed forces consist entirely of wicked men. Aside
        from the disturbing consequences of that bizarre notion, the entire principle
        is ultimately self-defeating. Christians desire to spread the light of the
        gospel to as many souls as possible. If they succeed, then there will be
        no-one left who is now permitted to operate the secular government and protect the
        state. Thus, the more Christian the state, the more doomed it is to fail.
        This makes it in the best interests of the state to limit or prohibit Christian
        activity, so that the state might prosper. The Bible promotes the Christian
        as the ideal citizen, one who is to live at peace with his fellow man as much
        as lies within him and who is a strength to his government rather than a
        weakness. This protects the Christian from undue persecution. However, the
        conclusions of your argument practically require persecution from any reasonable
        government.

        Cassondra

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 6, 2005
          --- In Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com, cassondrawrites@a... wrote, in
          part, regarding Nelta's position:

          > (I)t would necessarily require that
          > secular government and the armed forces
          > consist entirely of wicked men.

          I think that is the position that Nelta has basically confirmed on
          her own list in recent days.

          Well, maybe she would allow for a Christian to be mailman or an IRS
          Appeals Officer, but policeman, soldiers and others. . .only wicked
          folks (i.e., non-Christians) should be involved in such things.

          I don't think she's made an "argument" as you indicated. I just think
          she's voiced her faulty opinion.