"Quake Angel"? Out of the mouths of babes!

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2005
      Maybe it is a true story. It is certainly a good story.

      ######################

      QUAKE ANGEL

      By DUNCAN LARCOMBE

      January 1, 2005 -- PHUKET, Thailand - Quick-thinking 10-year-old Tilly
      Smith is being hailed as a hero after saving her parents and dozens of
      fellow vacationers from the deadly tsunami - thanks to a school
      geography lesson.

      Tilly warned the doubting adults at a resort that a massive tidal wave
      was about to strike - just minutes before the deadly tide rushed in and
      turned the resort into rubble. Tilly's family, from Surrey, England, was
      enjoying a day at Maikhao Beach last Sunday when the sea rushed out and
      began to bubble.

      The adults were curious, but Tilly froze in horror.

      "Mummy, we must get off the beach now!" she told her mother. "I think
      there's going to be a tsunami."

      The adults didn't understand until Tilly added the magic words: "A tidal
      wave."

      Her warning spread like wildfire. Within seconds, the beach was deserted
      — and it turned out to be one of the only places along the shores of
      Phuket where no one was killed or seriously injured.

      Last night, Tilly was being hailed as a savior.

      "I think it's phenomenal that Tilly's parents and the others on the
      beach are alive because she studied hard at school," said Craig Smith,
      the American manager of the JW Marriott Hotel where Tilly's family was
      staying.

      He said a tsunami is not like you see in the movies, where a huge wave
      wells up on the horizon and can be seen for miles off shore.

      "It is more like a sudden surge of water," he said. "There's very little
      warning. She's a hero."

      Tilly shrugged off the attention and modestly said, "Last term, my
      geography teacher, Mr. Kearney, taught us about earthquakes and how they
      can cause tsunamis.

      "I was on the beach, and the water started to go funny.

      "I recognized what was happening and had a feeling there was going to be
      a tsunami."

      Her mother, Penny Smith, 43, recalled how their family, including
      Tilly's father Colin, 46, and 7-year-old younger sister, Holly, were
      enjoying a Christmas vacation before tragedy struck.

      "When the water went back, I was like most people on the beach. I wanted
      to walk down and look at what was going on," she recalled. "It was only
      when Tilly explained what she thought was going to happen that I had
      second thoughts.

      "We ran off the beach as fast as we could and went to the first floor of
      the hotel where it would be safe. Minutes later the water surged right
      over the beach and demolished everything in its path.

      "It was terrifying to watch but I'm very proud of her."

      The Sun newspaper

      #######################
    • Tamara
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 4, 2005
        That's an interesting story. I remember being taught about tsunamis in school, and I never forgot it because the phenomenon always fascinated me. We read Pearl S Buck's "The Big Wave" in school as well, so perhaps that's why I remembered the signs so vividly. Since I have a lifelong fear of water, even the idea of it is a nightmare to me. That probably had a great deal of impact on why I recall it so well even many years later.

        When I heard about it over the holidays, in my mind's eye I actually pictured the ocean receding and then the giant tidal wave headed toward the beach. I wondered if anyone on the beach realized the significance of the suddenly receding ocean and, if so, if any of them were able to escape. Isn't it strange how something you have read about will stick in your mind as a picture even though you've never seen it even in the movies?

        Such a tragedy that so many were killed! Frankly, it amazes me that so many survived, because a tsunami is catastrophic beyond imagination. It's my understanding that the countries hardest hit are not on the tsunami early warning system because such events are extremely rare in that area. They'll probably never find the bodies of most victims, because if they were in the path of the wave they were swept out to sea. How very sad, and horrific. I wonder what passed through their minds.

        I also understand that they expect disease to become rampant in those areas, so the tragedy isn't over yet.

        Best,
        Tamara

[...]

        Support your local IRS office and ask Keith Sisman to change his vote before another night falls!

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor