Dr. Bert's 990!

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 4, 2004
      Excerpts:

      > Bert Thompson, President
      > Salary $ 0.00

      > Revenue: $573,424

      > Contributions $539,605.00
      > Sales $33,619.00

      > Other salaries and wages: $142,596

      > Travel: $12,509

      That was what I had earlier referred to. Doesn't it strike you as a
      little odd. After all, Dr. Bert promotes his seminars as if he is on
      the stump for the organization he heads, Apologetics Press.

      Is he doing it for nothing; all those weekends away from home? Forty or
      so a year, I believe he claims.

      And what of all the cash he and the other seminar speakers take for the
      books they sell at the seminars.

      It may be no big secret, but I just don't happen to know just how the
      money trail runs regarding those seminars. From the Form 990
      information, it looks like the seminar business may not even be
      reflected therein. Or maybe they just have a real cheap way of
      operating that I haven't figured out and that nobody is talking about.

      That wouldn't be unusual. After all, we can't even get Dr. Bert to talk
      about his Maury statue authorities.

      P.S. Dr. Bert appears to be claiming business is bigger and better than
      ever. However, aren't the 2003 numbers indicated in the recent post and
      above less than in at least some of the previous years.
    • Tamara
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 4, 2004
        It sounds to me like he's promoting exactly what he's doing - a big book tour, with Apologetics Press as the publisher, and Bert as the author. That would explain why he doesn't need a salary. He makes his money off royalties.

        Bert's royalty income wouldn't necessarily be reflected on the 990 since he could have a contractual arrangement by which he distributes the money (i.e., contributions) to Apologetics Press, and not the other way around. He could easily make more than enough for it to be worth his while to be away from home 40 weekends a year. It's impossible to say how much he makes, but royalties are usually based on a percentage.

        It sounds like a sweetheart setup, but I don't see a problem with it since he's very up-front about the fact that Apologetics Press is a publisher, and that he's an author. Maybe you're seeing a problem that I haven't detected.

        It seems to me that I got the impression that business is pretty steady. Just like any other business, he makes a little more some years, a little less in others.

        Best,
        Tamara

[...]

        Support your local IRS office and ask Keith Sisman to change his vote before another night falls!

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor