Todd on Dr. Bert/Blyth controversy!

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2004
      Hi, Robert.

      Randy Crum's comments seem on target, and I think you guys are getting
      somewhere. I've been quite busy with programming work this week, and
      haven't had much time to dig into this, though I've looked at a few
      things.

      I did notice that the Apologetics Press article that you linked to was
      quite lengthy, and actually had several rabbits in it
      scattering in all directions, the Blyth/Darwin misrepresentation being
      only one of the many rabbits. Apparently creationists feel they are
      under pressure to challenge the recent issue of National Geographic
      about evolution, and I see that at least the Bert Thompson/Brad Harrub
      attempt is pretty lame with the typical worn-out YEC/anti-evolutionist
      canards.

      One thing that I can say about Edward Blyth right now with respect to
      how the Thompson/Harrub article portrays him is that Blyth was NOT a
      young earth creationist, and I specifically checked to see if
      Thompson/Harrub pointed this out, and they did NOT. So in this case it's
      lying by omission, typical Thompson tactics.

      (You are quite correct to question Thompson/Harrub's representation of
      Blyth.)

      With respect to how Blyth's views developed in later years (post-1859
      publication of *Origin of Species*) I don't know yet, and I'll have to
      dig into more details.

      I'll also mention here that oddly enough Buff Scott Jr.'s *Reformation
      Rumblings* began showing up in my email again a few weeks ago, and his
      Dec. 1, 2004 issue contains some of his typical silly nonsense about
      evolution. But my comments on that are for another post.

      Regards,
      Todd Greene
      http://www.geocities.com/greeneto
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 3, 2004
        Todd,

        Thanks for your time and interest in considering and commenting on my
        little effort to "dig into the details" a bit on what Dr. Bert said
        about Blyth, and John Wilkins rebuttal.

        I haven't heard anything from Buff Scott. I guess you are more worthy
        than I.

        Last I checked Buff's website, he was still promoting that faulty Mt.
        St. Helens thing we spent so much time and effort trying to get him to
        fix. I guess, however, he's got a long way to go before he matches Dr.
        Bert's 12 year record for evading his responsibilities on even the
        simplest of matters.

        I'll look forward to any further information you can add to the matters,
        and John Wilkins promised reply regarding his sources; he appears to be
        somewhat of a Darwin scholar.