Blyth, an evolutionist?

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 2004
      Randy wrote to the Creationism list, in part:

      > I certainly think that efforts on
      > topics like this are futile unless
      > you can come up with some
      > specific statement from Blyth
      > saying that he believed in evolution.

      Yep, it would be nice to trace that claim down. I will probably have to
      defer to others who are better skilled, or with just more time, than
      myself.

      John Wilkins over at TalkOrigins is where I came up with it. Following
      is the link and excerpt:

      http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/precursors/precursnatsel.html

      > Darwin's Precursors and Influences
      > by John Wilkins

      > (excerpts)

      > 4. Natural selection

      > If he (Blyth) felt that Darwin had,
      > as Eiseley claimed, plagiarised
      > natural selection from him, he
      > would not have become such a
      > strong friend and supporter of
      > Darwinian evolution.

      I didn't notice any footnote supporting that claim.

      Hey, maybe I'll write Wilkins on T.O. and ask for a reference. Why
      didn't I think of that sooner.

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 2004
        John Wilkins can be found at:

        > http://www.wilkins.id.au/

        He is going to be checking his sources for that comment about Blyth
        supporting Darwin's evolution.

        I figure we've either "got" Wilkins or Dr. Bert on this bit of
        historical trivia.

        Which do you think it is?

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 3, 2004
          While we await John Wilkins to provide sources for his claim
          regarding Blyth's acceptance of Darwin's evolutionary ideas, I
          thought you might like to know about the disciplinary actions that
          take place on TalkOrigins regarding such things.

          Here's the link and comment from a TalkOrigins poster who picked up
          on my inquiry:

          http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&threadm=5801-
          41AFC9D7-416%40storefull-3256.bay.webtv.net&rnum=3&prev=/groups%3Fq%
          3Dblyth%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26group%3Dtalk.origins%26safe%3Doff%26selm%
          3D5801-41AFC9D7-416%2540storefull-3256.bay.webtv.net%26rnum%3D3

          > Hey, c'mon John. We cracked down real hard
          > on McCoy for failing to provide citations!

          > I guess you read it in a blue-covered geology
          > book you used in fifth grade.

          That was written somewhat in jest, but, if Wilkins doesn't come
          through with his reference(s), there just might be a big blow up over
          it on TalkOrigins.

          Now, if we can just compare that to the 12 year wait for Dr. Bert to
          be about giving up his indicated unquestionable source(s) for his
          Maury statue claim. . . .

        • Tamara
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 3, 2004
            There shouldn't be any reason why someone cannot provide sources. If it's just personal belief, it's easy to say "In my opinion ...", or "I think ..."

            If one makes a statement as fact, they should be able to back it up.

            Best,
            Tamara
            While we await John Wilkins to provide sources for his claim
            regarding Blyth's acceptance of Darwin's evolutionary ideas, I
            thought you might like to know about the disciplinary actions that
            take place on TalkOrigins regarding such things.

            Here's the link and comment from a TalkOrigins poster who picked up
            on my inquiry:

            http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&threadm=5801-
            41AFC9D7-416%40storefull-3256.bay.webtv.net&rnum=3&prev=/groups%3Fq%
            3Dblyth%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26group%3Dtalk.origins%26safe%3Doff%26selm%
            3D5801-41AFC9D7-416%2540storefull-3256.bay.webtv.net%26rnum%3D3

            > Hey, c'mon John. We cracked down real hard
            > on McCoy for failing to provide citations!

            > I guess you read it in a blue-covered geology
            > book you used in fifth grade.

            That was written somewhat in jest, but, if Wilkins doesn't come
            through with his reference(s), there just might be a big blow up over
            it on TalkOrigins.

            Now, if we can just compare that to the 12 year wait for Dr. Bert to
            be about giving up his indicated unquestionable source(s) for his
            Maury statue claim. . . .

            Support your local IRS office and ask Keith Sisman to change his vote before another night falls!

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor