Re: Abilene Christian University Petition!

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 29, 2004
      Vic also sent me some material from a speech by an A.C.U.
      administrator whereby there is, allegedly, an acceptance by the
      school of certain legal obligations regarding the keeping of the
      principles in the school's charter.

      We have before discussed whether or not the school's
      successful "integral agency" effort violated the charter and whether
      the school had some legal liability for such a course as it has taken.

      I'll leave that question for the lawyers. It would be nice if
      someone with a little moral influence would pursue that matter.

      Following my name below is the text of what Vic sent me regarding the
      issue.

      # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #

      Is ACU and the ACU Board of Trustees keeping their solumn charge?
      The following is a portion of a speech that former President of ACC
      Don H. Morris made to the Abilene Christian College Faculty Meeting.
      He quoted from the 1906 Charter. The date was May 14, 1968. (The
      underlining is mine.)

> [...]

      > > which takes the New Testament as its only and sufficient
      > > rule of faith, worship and practice, and rejects from
      > > its faith, worship and practice everything not required
      > > by either precept or example, and which does not introduce
      > > into the faith, worship and practice, as a part of the
      > > same or as adjuncts thereto any supplemental organization
      > > of anything else not clearly and directly authorized in
      > > the New Testament either by precept or example.

      > This paragraph from the charter of Abilene Christian College
      > sets the religious course of the college. The charter enforces
      > this commitment by stating further that the qualifications of
      > board members just given you, cannot be changed and that all
      > gifts to the college are given and are to be considered by law
      > to be given on this condition.

      > So we do have a commitment - a promise - a legal promise that
      > can be enforced by law by donors to the college and their heirs.

      > Also we have a moral commitment to all: to parents, to students,
      > to alumni, to friends. The donors come in as a kind of surety of
      > the promise that is made to all.

      > What does the promise say? It says that the policies of Abilene
      > Christian College shall be made by men who believe in the church,
      > the church that takes the

      > New Testament as its only and sufficient rule of faith, worship
      > and practice and rejects from its faith, worship and practice
      > everything not required by either precept or example, and which
      > does not introduce into the faith, worship and practice, as a
      > part of the same or as adjuncts thereto any supplemental
      > organization or anything else not clearly authorized in the New
      > Testament either by precept or example.

      > Now there is not a person here today who doesn't know what that
      > means. I know what it means, and I am honor bound by it. It means
      > that religiously Abilene Christian College stands for the
      > organization of the New Testament church - that it stands for the
      > law of conversion of the New Testament, the worship as taught in
      > the New Testament - that religiously it stands for the name of
      > the church in the New Testament and for Bible teaching in all
      > matters.

      > I am calling attention to this today as a review and as a
      > reminder to all of us of our purposes and promises. We are
      > all honor bound by these principles. It is not too much for
      > the administration to expect that the teaching and influence
      > of the college conform to these requirements. It is not enough
      > not to expect it.

      > Someone will ask, "Doesn't this limit academic freedom?"

      > There is not a university or college in the United States where
      > so-called academic freedom is not qualified or limited in some
      > particular. I believe in freedom as much as any person here -
      > freedom to search for truth and freedom of expression, as long
      > as these do not interfere with the academic or religious aims
      > of Abilene Christian College. We are controlled by our aims just

      The more complete text of Don H. Morris' speech can be found at the
      following web page:

      > http://www.bible-infonet.org/ff/articles/acu/108_05_11.htm

      Please note that Don H. Morris, the president of ACC at that time,
      clearly says that ACC was honor-bound and legally-bound to keep the
      charge of the 1906 Charter.

      Have ACU and the ACU Board of Trustees continued to do so?