Re: [Maury_and_Baty] Muscle car update

  • Chad Longley
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 1, 2004
      I will bow to the awesomeness of the AC Cobra. It is solely responsible for
      the beginning of the entire "kit car" industry. It does, however, have a
      yank counterpart, the Shelby GT 500. Same engine in a modified 1967-68
      Mustang fastback. Because of the movie "Gone in 60 Seconds," there is now
      an "Eleanor kit" available with all the necessary body modification panels
      to convert any late-'60s Mustang fastback to a Shelby clone -- kind of like
      an AC Cobra kit. Here's an original GT 500 on Ebaymotors, you may have to
      cut and paste to get the whole link:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6465&item=2483096582&rd=1

      And a clone built for drag racing:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6236&item=2482997293&rd=1

      - Chad

      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 1, 2004
        Hi Keith and listers
        In my garage, sits the family car a docile looking 1994 Chevrolet Caprice, solid black. Under the hood, is a Corvette L5 where an L1 did sit. What makes this one somewhat different is, it is a former Oklahoma Highway Patrol turnpike cruiser, big chip in the computer, full police package, tranny, and suspension.
        Of course I drive it like a family car!!! Yeah sure???? I really needed this car 54 years ago when I was 16. Really after the toy stage I learned to control my urge to "punch" it. Muscles come in unobtrusive packages sometimes.
        Dean
        H. Dean Leuch
        hdleuch@...
        I do not open attachments except from
        pre-approved senders.
        For a real muscle car you will never beat the awsome
        English AC Cobra. The greatest muscle car of all time?
        It had a huge yank engine and lightweight English
        chassis and body work.

        http://www.xs4all.nl/~luukb/

        Support your local IRS office!

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • scott foster

          For a real muscle car you will never beat the awsome
          English AC Cobra. The greatest muscle car of all time?
          It had a huge yank engine and lightweight English
          chassis and body work.

          http://www.xs4all.nl/~luukb/

          Support your local IRS office!

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Support your local IRS office!

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • scott foster
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 1, 2004
            Dean, I'm only two years younger than you and still race about 15 times a year on dirt ovals in the southland. Don't know whether I could give up the "rush" of "genetlemen start your engines" or not. The spider has been "slightly" modified from its factory specs as you can imagine. Don't drive it often, but do show it frequently and can occasionally be "baited" into running it on th elocal drag strip when some one thinks a blown six can't compete. Oh by the way, they forget the car only weighs 1700 pounds "wet" and that six will turn about 82K rpm without over reving, the engine sits over the rear tires, etc.

            enjoy the caprice, it really is a nice ride.

            scott

            "H.Dean Leuch" <hdleuch@...> wrote:
            First I don't race now, second I owned a Spider at one time, so am familiar with both.
            I don't accept challenges at 70 years of age the reactions are not what they once were.
            This Caprice is a very good family car and if I take care of it, probably will last the rest of my driving days.
            Best of luck with your "Spider."

              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 1, 2004
                Jack here
                I am new to the list. I have known Keith via the computer for some time. I do not now own a muscle car, but have over the years had many. I own a 68 Dodge Dart GTS with a 340. I had a 72 Cuda with a 426 Hemi. I had a 69 Chevell SS with a 396, I also had a 63 Road Runner 440. I was a young man at the hight of the muscle car.
                Jack Smith.
                St.Louis Mo.

              • Keith@Sisman.net
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 2, 2004
                  Dear list,

                  Greetings from England on a beautiful summers morning.

                  I've enjoyed reading the posts on muscle cars and I'm
                  glad to learn at last some of the brethren over there
                  have red blood running through their veins :)

                  I had thought I was the only car enthusiast in the
                  whole brotherhood!!

                  Rob's list at last serves a purpose, statutes and moon
                  dust are boring, dust from spinning wheels is
                  preferable.

                  Our roads here are traditionally narrow and twisty,
                  plus with expensive petrol means our cars have been
                  small with small four cylinder engines.

                  But our chassis design is great, thus when a big yank
                  engine goes in an English chassis to potential is
                  awesome :)

                  Unfortunately WW2 meant that with the Brits and Yanks
                  bombing Europe into submission the French and Germans
                  got new roads, we still have the ones Caesar gave us
                  two thousand years ago :~)

                  One car that is a true all English muscle car that can
                  handle English roads, has a traditional English hand
                  made interior with walnut the leather, and has an
                  English 6.7 V8 turbo is the Bentley turbo derived from
                  the Rolls Royce Silver Spirit.

                  This must rank as one of the greatest muscle cars of
                  all time, being whisked along in a gentleman's club at
                  Ferarri speeds is a truly awesome experience, and one I
                  have enjoyed. This is one car high on my wish list.

                  http://www.justinbanks.com/5-Exterior.html

                  http://www.justinbanks.com/5-Interior.html

                  http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/preowned,view,Bentley.spy?artid=14271&pg=1

                  http://www.rrab.com/bmult.htm

                  http://rroc.org.au/library/wp_b_turbor.html

                  Brotherly, Keith
                • Tamara
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 2, 2004
                    Welcome to the list, Jack!

                    My brother, who restores old RoadRunners as a hobby, would probably be quite interested in hearing about your '63 GTX. His present "baby" is a '68 GTX 440, it's quite a vehicle. The muscle cars are a bit much for me to handle (I prefer the '99 Mercedes 240SLK, and am also rather fond of the '87 Peugeot 505 Turbo), but I can appreciate them. My brother isn't on the list, but if you'd be kind enough to post some details about your '63 model, I'd love to forward it to him with your permission.

                    Best,
                    Tamara

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 2, 2004
                      I have never seen or heard of that particular vehicle before, but it sure is a beauty. Thanks for sharing.

                      Best,
                      Tamara