Re: [Maury_and_Baty] Muscle car update

  • Tamara
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 30, 2004
      I'll do that, Keith, thanks.

      Best,
      Tamara
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Keith@...
      To: Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 2:14 AM
      Subject: Re: [Maury_and_Baty] Muscle car update

      Big Yankee V8s make a lovely noise and exude that
      wonderfull feeling of power only a big V8 can do. I
      love the low down power and no doubt this is why many
      English car manufacturers have used yank V8s.

      Say hello to your brother from a true car enthusiast.

      Regards, Keith

      I just talked to my brother about the Roadrunner he
      restored, and he said that it's a GTX with a 440 engine
      in it.

      Best,
      Tamara

    • Chad Longley
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 30, 2004
        Cool!!!

        The 440 Magnum is known for its high torque curve. There's nothing like
        giving yourself whiplash when you take off from the line (aside from the
        smell of burning rubber and the deafening roar!)

        - Chad

        > I just talked to my brother about the Roadrunner he restored, and he said
        that it's a GTX with a 440 engine in it.

        > Best,
        > Tamara

        > Support your local IRS office!
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Tamara
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 30, 2004
          See, you just taught me something about my brother's car, LOL. All I know is that it's loud, and it's fast, and it's very nice looking. Oh, and that hardcore bikers pull up beside him at red lights just to tell him how much they like his car. I guess to him, being a geek like myself, that's the true measure of coolness. *grin*

          Best,
          Tamara

          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 30, 2004
            For a real muscle car you will never beat the awsome
            English AC Cobra. The greatest muscle car of all time?
            It had a huge yank engine and lightweight English
            chassis and body work.

            http://www.xs4all.nl/~luukb/
          • Chad Longley
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 1, 2004
              I will bow to the awesomeness of the AC Cobra. It is solely responsible for
              the beginning of the entire "kit car" industry. It does, however, have a
              yank counterpart, the Shelby GT 500. Same engine in a modified 1967-68
              Mustang fastback. Because of the movie "Gone in 60 Seconds," there is now
              an "Eleanor kit" available with all the necessary body modification panels
              to convert any late-'60s Mustang fastback to a Shelby clone -- kind of like
              an AC Cobra kit. Here's an original GT 500 on Ebaymotors, you may have to
              cut and paste to get the whole link:

              http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6465&item=2483096582&rd=1

              And a clone built for drag racing:

              http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6236&item=2482997293&rd=1

              - Chad

              > For a real muscle car you will never beat the awsome
              > English AC Cobra. The greatest muscle car of all time?
              > It had a huge yank engine and lightweight English
              > chassis and body work.
              >
              > http://www.xs4all.nl/~luukb/
              >

              > Support your local IRS office!
              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • H.Dean Leuch
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 1, 2004
                Hi Keith and listers
                In my garage, sits the family car a docile looking 1994 Chevrolet Caprice, solid black. Under the hood, is a Corvette L5 where an L1 did sit. What makes this one somewhat different is, it is a former Oklahoma Highway Patrol turnpike cruiser, big chip in the computer, full police package, tranny, and suspension.
                Of course I drive it like a family car!!! Yeah sure???? I really needed this car 54 years ago when I was 16. Really after the toy stage I learned to control my urge to "punch" it. Muscles come in unobtrusive packages sometimes.
                Dean
                H. Dean Leuch
                hdleuch@...
                I do not open attachments except from
                pre-approved senders.
                For a real muscle car you will never beat the awsome
                English AC Cobra. The greatest muscle car of all time?
                It had a huge yank engine and lightweight English
                chassis and body work.

                http://www.xs4all.nl/~luukb/

                Support your local IRS office!

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • scott foster

                  For a real muscle car you will never beat the awsome
                  English AC Cobra. The greatest muscle car of all time?
                  It had a huge yank engine and lightweight English
                  chassis and body work.

                  http://www.xs4all.nl/~luukb/

                  Support your local IRS office!

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  Support your local IRS office!

                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                • scott foster
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 1, 2004
                    Dean, I'm only two years younger than you and still race about 15 times a year on dirt ovals in the southland. Don't know whether I could give up the "rush" of "genetlemen start your engines" or not. The spider has been "slightly" modified from its factory specs as you can imagine. Don't drive it often, but do show it frequently and can occasionally be "baited" into running it on th elocal drag strip when some one thinks a blown six can't compete. Oh by the way, they forget the car only weighs 1700 pounds "wet" and that six will turn about 82K rpm without over reving, the engine sits over the rear tires, etc.

                    enjoy the caprice, it really is a nice ride.

                    scott

                    "H.Dean Leuch" <hdleuch@...> wrote:
                    First I don't race now, second I owned a Spider at one time, so am familiar with both.
                    I don't accept challenges at 70 years of age the reactions are not what they once were.
                    This Caprice is a very good family car and if I take care of it, probably will last the rest of my driving days.
                    Best of luck with your "Spider."

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 1, 2004
                        Jack here
                        I am new to the list. I have known Keith via the computer for some time. I do not now own a muscle car, but have over the years had many. I own a 68 Dodge Dart GTS with a 340. I had a 72 Cuda with a 426 Hemi. I had a 69 Chevell SS with a 396, I also had a 63 Road Runner 440. I was a young man at the hight of the muscle car.
                        Jack Smith.
                        St.Louis Mo.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 2, 2004
                          Dear list,

                          Greetings from England on a beautiful summers morning.

                          I've enjoyed reading the posts on muscle cars and I'm
                          glad to learn at last some of the brethren over there
                          have red blood running through their veins :)

                          I had thought I was the only car enthusiast in the
                          whole brotherhood!!

                          Rob's list at last serves a purpose, statutes and moon
                          dust are boring, dust from spinning wheels is
                          preferable.

                          Our roads here are traditionally narrow and twisty,
                          plus with expensive petrol means our cars have been
                          small with small four cylinder engines.

                          But our chassis design is great, thus when a big yank
                          engine goes in an English chassis to potential is
                          awesome :)

                          Unfortunately WW2 meant that with the Brits and Yanks
                          bombing Europe into submission the French and Germans
                          got new roads, we still have the ones Caesar gave us
                          two thousand years ago :~)

                          One car that is a true all English muscle car that can
                          handle English roads, has a traditional English hand
                          made interior with walnut the leather, and has an
                          English 6.7 V8 turbo is the Bentley turbo derived from
                          the Rolls Royce Silver Spirit.

                          This must rank as one of the greatest muscle cars of
                          all time, being whisked along in a gentleman's club at
                          Ferarri speeds is a truly awesome experience, and one I
                          have enjoyed. This is one car high on my wish list.

                          http://www.justinbanks.com/5-Exterior.html

                          http://www.justinbanks.com/5-Interior.html

                          http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/preowned,view,Bentley.spy?artid=14271&pg=1

                          http://www.rrab.com/bmult.htm

                          http://rroc.org.au/library/wp_b_turbor.html

                          Brotherly, Keith
                        • Tamara
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 2, 2004
                            Welcome to the list, Jack!

                            My brother, who restores old RoadRunners as a hobby, would probably be quite interested in hearing about your '63 GTX. His present "baby" is a '68 GTX 440, it's quite a vehicle. The muscle cars are a bit much for me to handle (I prefer the '99 Mercedes 240SLK, and am also rather fond of the '87 Peugeot 505 Turbo), but I can appreciate them. My brother isn't on the list, but if you'd be kind enough to post some details about your '63 model, I'd love to forward it to him with your permission.

                            Best,
                            Tamara

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jul 2, 2004
                              I have never seen or heard of that particular vehicle before, but it sure is a beauty. Thanks for sharing.

                              Best,
                              Tamara