Re: [Maury_and_Baty] Re: Worth repeating (about this list's owner)!

  • Tamara
    Message 1 of 60 , Jun 28, 2004
      There was no threat of legal action, veiled or otherwise. I simply noted that it is actionable. There is precious little on any mailing list worthy of my time and trouble beyond noting my agreement or disagreement. However, I thought it best, since he is not a US resident, to simply point out that what I find merely objectionable, others more litigious than I (and we in the US are quite a litigious society) may decide is actionable and worthy of pursuit. I did this because I find Keith to be a generally interesting and engaging fellow, and felt that he truly did not intend any harm, but rather humor; and I would not wish to see him become the object of someone's actual ire. That being the case, why would I make a threat?

      If it was taken as a threat, I humbly apologize. That was not, and would never be, my intention.

      Keith took my message in its entirety, and changed just enough words to make it read as if I were saying the exact opposite of what I originally said. Am I the only one who realized that he used my message verbatim with the exception of a couple of words? Surely not. But again, while I do not approve of my words being used in this manner, I do realize that he was merely attempting to create a humorous post, and I am not at all angry about it. I would simply prefer that it not be done in the future, simply because it could create a situation wherein due to confusion it may appear to others that I said something I did not say.

      For clarification, here is his message. The lower-case words are my original message. The capitalized words are his changes to my original message:

      If you are referencing Robert's propensity to discuss
      such matters as the Maury statue, I'm afraid that he
      will be unable to "behave" himself. Robert is who he
      is. Sure, he discusses that (and certain other
      matters) a lot, but that's part of his LACK OF charm as
      far as I'm concerned.

      Robert (was) on several of my lists, and everyone is
      quite OPPOSED to him exactly the way he is (and we are
      talking about 600 members total).

      I have never received one complaint about Robert, BUT MANY,
      and he is completely unmoderated NOW BEING
      BANNED. For that reason, I cannot help but wonder if
      perhaps his questions are making folks in certain
      circles uncomfortable for reasons other than the fact
      of his "insistence to pursue one subject and not put it
      down" WAS MAKING EVERY ONES LIFE HELL ON EARTH.

      I can honestly say that in the 6 long years I have NOT
      been a listowner, I have never once banned anyone for
      doggedly pursuing one particular subject, and so I find
      it quite curious that CFTF would do so EXCEPT ROBERT IS
      QUITE A GUY FOR BEING SO UNREASONABLE!

      Message 60 of 60 , Jun 30, 2004
        Dear Tamara,

        Humility is great and we both share this wonderfull
        virtue, I understand fully why my great post was not
        mentioned.

        I hope Rob can learn from us so he too can humble
        himself.

        Have a great day, Keith

        No, I didn't forget to mention it, Keith.  I just
        decided not to.  *grin*

        Best,
        Tamara