Tax protester charged with child pornography

  • Tamara
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 18, 2004
      The last couple of days has brought an interesting twist to the saga of one of the tax protesters we've discussed in this forum.

      I think either Robert or I had previously mentioned Larken Rose. He's the medical transcriber who became a self-described "constitutional expert" and who bought ads in newspapers stating that he does not file taxes, and daring the IRS to investigate him. Not surprisingly, they eventually did just that. Rose also recently released a CD explaining his "861 Argument", which of course is an argument previously determined to be frivolous by the courts. I believe that someone here had a friend who had been watching it, and I think we discussed the possibility of brainwashing techniques being used in the production. One of the "experts" who appears on that CD later admonished followers not to show it to minors, due to concern that they could be accused of brainwashing.

      Yes, she actually used the word "brainwashing".

      When the IRS raided Rose's home, they seized 10 computers. When they examined the hard drives, they found something far more serious than evidence of tax fraud/evasion. They found child pornography. Rose has been arrested and is being held on $50,000 bond. We previously pondered over at Quatloos why the IRS was so interested in his contributions to a foreign orphanage. This probably explains it, although none of us ever even imagined it was something like this.

      He is being held on the following charge: "KNOWINGLY POSSESSED COMPUTERS AND OTHER MATTER THAT CONTAINED VISUAL DEPICTIONS THAT HAD BEEN MAILED, SHIPPED AND TRANSPORTED IN INTERSTATE AND FOREIGN COMMERCE OF MINORS ENGAGED IN SEXUALLY EXPLICIT CONDUCT, IN VIOLATION OF TITLE 2252(a)(4)(B) AND (b)(2)"

      Yep, he's in a HUGE amount of trouble, but not for his tax shenanigans. I guess this is proof that it's wise to watch what you ask for, because you just might get it.

      Naturally, as these tax protester gurus are wont to do, he's asking for 500 people to contribute $100 each to bail him out. I just don't see that happening, considering the heinous charge against him and the religiosity of many if not most of the tax protest movement's followers.

      Of course, he's claiming a frame-up, as are a few of his hardcore followers, but some regular voices in the tax protester movement are being surprisingly silent on the issue. It should be an interesting case to watch. Computer experts at Quatloos are saying that it will be easy to prove that it's not a frame-up; and that since the photos were found in the same file containing partially nude images of his wife, they couldn't have been downloaded surreptitiously by some rogue porn website. However, since forensic computer examination is far from my area of knowledge, I can only take their word for that.

      Best,
      Tamara