Jerry Brewer still after OC!

    Message 1 of 60 , Jun 13, 2004

      Following my name below is a breaking announcement from Jerry Brewer.

      I am still waiting for the good brethren like Jerry and OC to address
      how OC used the federal court venue to successfully argue the IRS erred
      in failing to recognize OC as "an integral agency of the churches of
      Christ".

      From:  "Jerry Brewer" <yoder@o...>
      Date:  Sun Jun 13, 2004  2:37 pm
      Subject:  [LURlist] OC Letter

      The bulletin of a congregation in Elk City, Oklahoma this week
      carried a letter from OC President Mike O'Neal which said, in part,

      > "We are deeply concerned that what
      > is taught on this campus at Lectureship
      > or at other venues is consistent with
      > scripture, particularly when the teaching
      > is directly related to salvation. Occasionally
      > a teaching may be so clearly contrary to
      > scripture that it becomes necessary to
      > refute it publicly or to be sure another
      > viewpoint is heard. All matters of faith
      > are important, but there are some issues
      > which are matters of individual judgment,
      > and some issues on which honest hearts
      > and minds may disagree..."

      This gobbledegook is more of the old "bob and weave" liberalism that has
      become the hallmark of apostates. O'Neal went on to say in the letter
      that, "We confirm our commitment to the fellowship of the churches of
      Christ from the restoration heritage and its teachings on weekly
      communion, believers baptism for the remission of sins and the gift of
      the Holy Spirit, communication with the Father through prayer, male
      spiritual leadership, congregational autonomy, priesthood of believers,
      the importance of unity, and a cappella music."

      These folks just can't refer to the church of Christ in scriptural
      terms, can they? It has to be "churches of Christ from the restoration
      heritage." O, that they were as committed to the church of the Blessed
      Saviour as they are to an historical 19th century
      religious movement! This letter is a rehash of the old line presented
      Nov. 17, 2003 at 8th and Lee in Lawton by Shon Smith---a meeting, by the
      way, in which Smith and Bible College Dean Lynn Mcmillon did a two-step
      around the question of whether Bible silence is permissive or
      prohibitive.

      The congregation which printed this in its bulletin apparently
      approves O'Neal's sentiments since it was printed without comment.

      Jerry C. Brewer

      ##################
    • Keith@Sisman.net
      Message 60 of 60 , Jun 30, 2004
        Dear Tamara,

        Humility is great and we both share this wonderfull
        virtue, I understand fully why my great post was not
        mentioned.

        I hope Rob can learn from us so he too can humble
        himself.

        Have a great day, Keith

        No, I didn't forget to mention it, Keith.  I just
        decided not to.  *grin*

        Best,
        Tamara