Cicada story!

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 4, 2004
      For those members of this list who live in Cicada country:

      (copied)

      A friend of mine told me a hilarious Cicada encounter.

      She and three friends were having lunch in an outdoor cafe. They
      decided to risk the inevitable encounters with the Big Red Eyed
      Cicadas. During lunch, one woman had cicadas climb onto her feet
      several times. They were only after *her* feet, not her friends'.
      She started to think it was the same cicada that kept bugging her.

      Finally they put the cicada in a rolled up napkin (serviette) and put
      it on the ground ten feet away. A few minutes later, the noticed the
      same cicada emerge and make a break for her feet again.

      Finally they realized that she was the only one wearing sandals vs.
      regular shoes. But should that make a difference? So her toes were
      sticking out. Her toes with - bright red toenail polish! The cicada
      must've sensed that he had a ready-made harem just waiting for his
      attentions.

    • Tamara
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 4, 2004
        EEK! That's enough to make me never, ever wear sandals or red nail polish. Cicadas completely creep me out!

        Best
        Tamara

[...]

        Support your local IRS office!

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 4, 2004
          --- In Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com, "Tamara" <Legal_writer@h...>
          wrote, in part:

          > Cicadas completely creep me out!

          I hear you are not the only one on this list that is "creeped out" by
          Cicadas.

          Robert
        • scott foster
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 4, 2004
            For those of us who think these lovely creatures are a delicious fried, we cannot understand your dislike of this regular feast for gormands of all types. Not only is the emergence predictable within hours, the quality of the various varities is consistent from hatch to hatch. The only problem is preserving them during the 17 years between hatchong. They are very susceptible to freezer burn if not packaged very carefully.

            They are particularly good steamed and served with drawn butter.

            scott

            wrote, in part:

            > Cicadas completely creep me out!

            I hear you are not the only one on this list that is "creeped out" by
            Cicadas.

            Robert

            Support your local IRS office!

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 4, 2004
              A word of caution...as some are already finding out, indulging in the rare
              treat of the seventeen-year cicada can be a dangerous business. People who have
              other food allergies, like soy or shellfish, etc., should avoid eating
              cicadas. A man in Bloomington, IN tried the sauteed with butter variety and nearly
              died with a case of hives inside and out. But for other brave souls - eat if
              you dare!

              (I daren't)

              Cassondra

            • scott foster
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 5, 2004
                cassondrawrites@... wrote:
                Cassondra, and others of the same mind set, please......

                I don't tell you not to walk because you could fall in a hole after a rain storm and die, nor do I tell you not to eat eggs, because some who do die, nor do I suggest that you not put smokeless tobacco in your ear daily for forty years becasue one man who did in MN a number of years ago contracted cancer of the ear.

                If you choose to pass on some of the delicies in life, please do so without warning me of the possible consequences of my actions. You sound like the government trying to tell me what I can and cannot do with my land, my life, my addictions, and my choice of life style.

                scott