Lawyerdude

  • Tamara
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2004
      I just found out that YahooGroups shut down the group owned by a PAMite who calls himself (and his group) "lawyerdude"; his real name is Douglas Palaschak. I'm not sure why, but I'd guess it has something to do with the fact that he's not a licensed attorney, yet was regularly giving (very bad) legal advice in that group. According to the link below, it seems he got ratted out by someone he was "representing". He is still claiming to be a lawyer, although he was long, long ago disbarred (and has been prosecuted for the unauthorized practice of law). This time, he was even contacted by a computer crimes detective.

      He promptly started two new groups (and IDs) called, shockingly, "Lawyerdude_Is_Back" and "The_Lawyerdude". He states that Yahoo is whacking his new stuff too, although they're there right now.

      He's allegedly planning to sue Yahoo for civil rights violations; i.e., due process, and is trying to get the PAMite members of his group to sign on as plaintiffs in a class action. He claims that Yahoo whacking his group is similar to a writ of replevin (allowing one to repossess property) as dealt with in the case of Fuentes v Sheven. LOL.

      Here's a message from MSN groups explaining what lawyerdude thinks happened, and how he wants to start a new group with someone else listed as owner to get around this problem:

      http://groups.msn.com/Lawyerdude/general.msnw?action=get_message&mview=0&ID_Message=2&LastModified=4675462525316049770

      Best,
      Tamara

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3, 2004
        Tamara, you wrote, in part:

        > I just found out that YahooGroups
        > shut down the group owned by a
        > PAMite who calls himself (and his
        > group) "lawyerdude"; his real name
        > is Douglas Palaschak.

        I saw some posts about that on the TeaParty list, or somewhere like
        that.

        In light of my own experience with certain anonymous Internet terrorists
        who got my first list "whacked", and who appear to have made efforts to
        also get this little list "whacked", it is good to see that maybe YAHOO!
        has improved their efforts and are picking on more appropriate lists for
        "whacking"; though one has to wonder considering what all seems to pass
        muster without any kind of fuss.

      • Tamara
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 3, 2004
          Thanks for using the word "whacked" so many times in that one paragraph. It reminds me that the Sopranos is on tomorrow night. :-)

          I am under the impression that one has to make what could be considered a legal threat against Yahoo to get them to shut down a list. Claims of libel (as is probably what occurred with the previous whacking of your list) should no longer work its previous magic due to the Ninth Circuit ruling. Then again, perhaps Yahoo is gun-shy and fears other circuits may view it differently.

          It is definitely good to see that they are picking on the likes of Palaschak. What I don't understand is why PAM's group is still operative. He even charges admission to his group, in violation of Yahoo TOS! Yet, they allow him to continue operating unmolested.

          Could Yahoo fear PAM? Has PAM threatened them with a "Verified Criminal Complaint" or some other nonsense?

          If they contacted him, you bet he did!

          Did they take him seriously, and are they afraid of him? Now, that's a scary thought.

          Best,
          Tamara