Re: [Maury_and_Baty] RICO, RALs and H & R Block!

  • Tamara
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2 12:04 PM
      I still don't know why you didn't just send that PAMite 30 mil in blank money orders under $100 each ..... (sorry, couldn't resist)

      The RAL industry is growing, and from what I can see regularly charges rates so high that they would fall under usury statutes. For that reason among others, I agree that this is worth watching.

      The PAMites should also be watching, because they regularly assert civil RICO claims without even understanding what does and does not constitute such a claim. I find PAM's RICO assertions in the newest AOL case particularly amusing. In that suit, PAM is claiming $5 Billion RICO damages against each of thousands of defendants, any of whom he claimed could have settled for $25. That alone tells you that he doesn't have a case, ROFL! Well, that and the fact that the defendants could not constitute an organization (RICO does, after all, refer to Racketeering Influenced Corrupt Organizations), since they didn't even know one another .....

      Plus, he claimed federal RICO violations, but filed it in state court. Any idiot knows that a state court doesn't have jurisdiction to determine violation of federal law.

      Long story short, if the PAMites understood civil RICO, they wouldn't be claiming it because they'd know they didn't have a case. Oh, who am I kidding. All PAMite suits are nuisance suits that they hope will be settled as such. What they don't understand is that no one is going to settle a RICO suit unless there's a real chance that they'd lose. There's no chance the AOL defendants will lose, so where is their incentive to settle?

      Best,
      Tamara