Re: America the Theocracy

  • mathewmaury
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2004
      --- Cassondra writes:
      > I have proferred arguments for why every human being is to
      > be regarded as equal, but I have not yet heard your
      > arguments for why they are not to be, although you continue
      > to make it plain that you are disposed against them.

      Your latest post is full of grace. I am delighted that we are
      still on communicative terms.

      Every human being is theoretically equal and I cannot argue
      against it. But some human beings are more equal than others
      and discrimination is a fact of life. Choices sometimes must
      be made and they are based on criteria that may not reflect
      omniscient judgement. People are hired and fired for reasons
      unrelated to job performance. Wives are selected based on an
      upturned nose or a pleasant voice. Bums get a handout based
      on how they spell 'out of werk' on their cardboard sign.
      Chad and I admitted that we discriminate in the voting booth
      based on sex and last name of the candidate when no other
      criteria is at hand.

      Equal soul-worth in God's sight does not translate to equal
      privilege, equal opportunity, equal ability. Soul-worth is
      not reflected in society-worth. See the parable of the
      talents.

      I do not pretend to be one of the elite more worthy than all
      others. Some are more worthy than I and others are less
      worthy. All are precious to God, but I do not know all
      people and I do not understand all the people I know. Is it
      wrong to focus my efforts, affection, benevolence on those I
      feel more kinship towards based on similar background,
      similar philosophy, similar goals?

      Which human beings am I accused of regarding as less than
      equal? Em facetiously suggested that I prefer women barefoot
      and pregnant. I will admit that I believe the women who
      choose to keep at home and care for the home are valuable
      members of society and I can think of no greater important
      work for them to do. This does not mean that I am 'disposed
      against them'.

      When sick, I visit either of the two physicians in my
      doctor's office... one is a white woman, another an oriental
      man. I received a haircut yesterday from a black girl. My
      car was repaired last week by a Hispanic man. I delegated to
      each of these some authority over me or my possessions. Am I
      wrong to discriminate by not having the hair stylist repair
      my transmission or not asking the auto mechanic to check my
      prostate? Why should I not attempt to discriminate in how
      much authority each of these has to choose the political
      direction of this country? Equal souls does not mean equal
      wisdom.