Re: [Maury_and_Baty] Re: America the Theocracy

  • cassondrawrites@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2004
      Matthewmaury,
      After having been consistently pranked by my daughter ever since she
      woke up this morning, you might expect me to be more on my guard, but I must
      confess you had me, MM. I was actually starting to feel bad and apologetic on
      first reading your post, but then I reread it and had to laugh at myself. First
      of all, you do a great job of conveying your thoughts via the written word, so
      no self-deprecation on your part is warranted in that area. In fact, I agree
      with Chad that you are by far one of the more entertaining characters on this
      list. ;o) Second, while your reference to one of my earlier posts did make
      it sound quite far-ranging, on further review, I am reminded that my post was
      simply a response to your own! All the points I raised were in reply to your
      own, so I doubt that you were actually overwhelmed by them. A little exhausted
      at my verbosity, perhaps, but not overwhelmed! And while I *am* sorry if my
      attacks seemed personal, they were attacks on your positions, not your person.
      You have repeatedly made it plain that you for whatever reason, you hold
      women and at least certain minorities in much lower esteem than men. Your charm
      may temporarily disarm, but it will not permanently deflect criticism of such
      outrageous views! I have proferred arguments for why every human being is to
      be regarded as equal, but I have not yet heard your arguments for why they are
      not to be, although you continue to make it plain that you are disposed
      against them. Of course, you don't have to defend your views, either.
      I will agree with you on one thing. Monarchy is not inherently evil,
      although that doesn't actually answer the question of whether or not we are better
      off for men voting, either. I do believe in the old-fashioned concept of a
      cycle of governments and believe that each has its place, although each is
      eventually corrupted and replaced. My personal view on Iraq is that democracy is not
      an import item and given the history of the nation, they might have better
      served by a sort of oligarchical government, at least initially. But that is
      neither here or there.
      Oh, yes...almost forgot. The confusing references to the soul and the light
      of God were references to the bases of the theory of human rights. My
      personal interest, no big deal, just let it pass from your mind. I've probably
      distracted this list as much as necessary for now anyway, although it has been fun
      to cross swords with you again. I cannot imagine why, to be honest; all I can
      think is that in our increasingly coarse society, good manners can go an
      awfully long way.

      Happy April Fools' Day, all!

      Cassondra

    • mathewmaury
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2004
        --- Cassondra writes:
        > I have proferred arguments for why every human being is to
        > be regarded as equal, but I have not yet heard your
        > arguments for why they are not to be, although you continue
        > to make it plain that you are disposed against them.

        Your latest post is full of grace. I am delighted that we are
        still on communicative terms.

        Every human being is theoretically equal and I cannot argue
        against it. But some human beings are more equal than others
        and discrimination is a fact of life. Choices sometimes must
        be made and they are based on criteria that may not reflect
        omniscient judgement. People are hired and fired for reasons
        unrelated to job performance. Wives are selected based on an
        upturned nose or a pleasant voice. Bums get a handout based
        on how they spell 'out of werk' on their cardboard sign.
        Chad and I admitted that we discriminate in the voting booth
        based on sex and last name of the candidate when no other
        criteria is at hand.

        Equal soul-worth in God's sight does not translate to equal
        privilege, equal opportunity, equal ability. Soul-worth is
        not reflected in society-worth. See the parable of the
        talents.

        I do not pretend to be one of the elite more worthy than all
        others. Some are more worthy than I and others are less
        worthy. All are precious to God, but I do not know all
        people and I do not understand all the people I know. Is it
        wrong to focus my efforts, affection, benevolence on those I
        feel more kinship towards based on similar background,
        similar philosophy, similar goals?

        Which human beings am I accused of regarding as less than
        equal? Em facetiously suggested that I prefer women barefoot
        and pregnant. I will admit that I believe the women who
        choose to keep at home and care for the home are valuable
        members of society and I can think of no greater important
        work for them to do. This does not mean that I am 'disposed
        against them'.

        When sick, I visit either of the two physicians in my
        doctor's office... one is a white woman, another an oriental
        man. I received a haircut yesterday from a black girl. My
        car was repaired last week by a Hispanic man. I delegated to
        each of these some authority over me or my possessions. Am I
        wrong to discriminate by not having the hair stylist repair
        my transmission or not asking the auto mechanic to check my
        prostate? Why should I not attempt to discriminate in how
        much authority each of these has to choose the political
        direction of this country? Equal souls does not mean equal
        wisdom.