Re: Our rights to answers!

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 2 1:26 PM
      --- In Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com, Chad Longley <mcl98e@a...>
      wrote to Tamara, in part:

      > I personally don't know of any *basketball ministers*
      > here, but I would not be shocked and surprised if
      > there were.

      My repeated reference to "basketball minister" has to do with a
      specific case that was pending before the U.S. Tax Court a few years
      ago. That case involved the "basketball minister" at what is now
      OCUSA (an ACU sister school).

      The extent to which the benefit is actually being utilized today is
      unknown to me, but I think it reasonable to assume that its use has
      grown since the "basketball minister" got the government to back down
      on questioning his right to claim it. The government conceded the
      case prior to trial.

      Similarly, we can only speculate as to the extent to which the
      benefit will be claimed in the future. See the thread on the hammer
      and saw ministers who might work for that new, tax-exempt, church-
      related, "integral agency"-like company starting up in OKC to build
      houses.

    • Tamara
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 2 4:49 PM
        I figured it was just a joke due to the "haha" line, but wanted to make sure. Now that I know for sure that you don't take the exemption - and that you work for ACU - I must admit that it's pretty doggone funny, especially in light of the discussions on this list.

        Thank you for the link, that was interesting.

        It sounds as though you and I view this in a similar manner (albeit with my imperfect knowledge), and have a similar code of ethics.

        So, you don't know any basketball ministers, huh? *grin*

        Best,
        Tamara