Bernie Dehler v. Robert Baty - Atheism 101

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 23, 2014

      -
      Bernie Dehler

      v.

      Atheism 101 Critical Thinking Exercise

      Venue:

      ht tps:// w w w . facebook .com/groups/232644807229/

      Subject Thread:

      ht tps:// w w w . facebook .com/groups/232644807229/permalink/10152277060152230/

      Bernie:

      https://www.facebook.com/bernmutt

      Bernie's Upcoming God Debate:

      http://www.examiner.com/article/lame-arguments-for-the-existence-of-god

      From: Bernie Dehler
      Date: Saturday, March 22, 2014
      Time: About 10:00 PM MT

      I'm preparing for a god debate, and I wonder what you would

      all say to this discussion question:

      "Suppose you go to a magician's magic show and the magician

      does a disappearing act never seen before, and nobody can

      figure out out he did it. What is the probability that he really did

      disappear by real magic (rather than slight of hand, illusion,

      trickery, etc.)? Is it 0, less than .5, or what would you say?"

      Looking forward to your responses.

      From: Robert Baty
      Date: Sunday, March 23, 2014
      Time: About 9:00 AM MT

      Since you asked..... :o)

      It sounds like what your question is getting at is the idea that somewhere
      in the long ago some creature experienced something unusual and came
      up with the idea/concept of God.

      I've been exploring that question here recently, in a continuing effort to
       bring the issue as discussed in the Campbell v. Owen Debate of 1829
      up to date.

      I have an Exercise for that, and it has been working quite well for the
      purposes intended.

      Atheists don't think there is any God.
      Theists do.

      Atheists think the notion of God came naturally.
      Theists don't.

      I get that.

      Here's the current link to my Exercise for those who may wish to successfully
      complete the Exercise. It sounds to me like it just might be a topic relevant to
      Bernie's debate, either implicitly or explicitly.

      https://www.facebook.com/groups/232644807229/permalink/10152274664982230/

      Who knows, Bernie might want to successfully complete the Exercise and engage
      the discussion following in order to be better prepared for his upcoming debate.

      From: Robert Baty
      Date: Sunday, March 23, 2014
      Time: About 10:30 AM MT

      This appears to be what Bernie Dehler is talking about.

      Neato!

      Sounds like Bernie would be an excellent candidate to participate in my Exercise:

      https://www.facebook.com/groups/232644807229/permalink/10152274664982230/

      I will leave it up to him to make that call.

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 23, 2014

        See also:

        http://www.meetup.com/Philosophical-Naturalists/events/157403672/

        and

        https://www.facebook.com/events/628164700565496

        -------------------------------------

        To: maury_and_baty@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 23, 2014
          ---

          - "Not knowing" isn't evidence for anything,
          - other than "not knowing."

          -
          -- Bernie Dehler
          -- http://blog.oregonlive.com/my-portland/2014/03/lame_arguments_for_the_existen.html

          Bernie and I seem to agree on that; all the more reason for an explicit demonstration of just how much we are in agreement by having Bernie successfully complete my Atheism 101 Critical Thinking Exercise (i.e., it just takes 6 words from Bernie).

          Atheists don't know how the idea/concept of God, allegedly, originated naturally, and they need to be more explicit in admitting to it.

          My Exercise helps to illustrate that simple, fundamental matter:

          https://www.facebook.com/Atheism101CTE/posts/238144416370504

          and

          https://www.facebook.com/groups/232644807229/permalink/10152274664982230/

          To: maury_and_baty@yahoogroups.com
          From: rlbaty@...
          Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 13:00:35 -0400
          Subject: RE: [M & B] Bernie Dehler v. Robert Baty - Atheism 101

          --

          To: maury_and_baty@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 23, 2014
            ----------

            https://www.facebook.com/events/628164700565496/permalink/628173350564631/

            ----------

            (1)

            From: Bernie Dehler
            Date: March 16, 2014
            Time: 9:39 PM

            If you don't live in Portland, please help spread the word
            by telling your friends that live in or near Portland and
            might be interested.

            -----------

            From: Robert Baty
            Date: Sunday, March 23, 2014
            Time: About 12:30 PM MT

            Bernie ,

            Your "6 words" would, in my opinion,
            provide an excellent warm up for
            your upcoming "debate".

            https://www.facebook.com/Atheism101CTE/posts/238144416370504

            From what I have read, I am thinking
            you would probably join with me in
            answering "yes" to all 6 questions,
            but it would be nice to make that
            explicit or identify on which questions
            we think differently.

            --------------------------------------

            To: maury_and_baty@yahoogroups.com

            From: rlbaty@...
            Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 13:00:35 -0400

            --

            To: maury_and_baty@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 24, 2014
              I don't understand the atheist stats. I've heard that recent atheists compose 15% of the population while 8% has been the norm for years. Now this link says it is only 3%.
              Does any one really know?

              - Bernie Dehler v. Atheism 101 Critical Thinking Exercise Venue: ht tps:// w w w . facebook .com/groups/232644807229/ Subject Thread: ht tps:// w w w . facebook .com/groups/232644807229/permalink/10152277060152230/ Bernie:https://www.facebook.com/bernmutt Bernie's Upcoming God Debate:http://www.examiner.com/article/lame-arguments-for-the-existence-of-god ---------------------------------------------- (1) From: Bernie Dehler Date: Saturday, March 22, 2014 Time: About 10:00 PM MT

              ------------------------------------------------------ (2) From: Robert Baty Date: Sunday, March 23, 2014 Time: About 9:00 AM MTSince you asked..... :o)

              --------------------------------------------------- (3) From: Robert Baty Date: Sunday, March 23, 2014 Time: About 10:30 AM MT

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 24, 2014
                Ray,

                In answer to your question, my opinion is "no"!

                Since posting that message, Bernie and I have been exchanging personal emails.  I just might get him to work with me to produce a program on my Creationism 101 Critical Thinking Exercise, where we might enjoy a more friendly exchange and get some public exposure for the Exercise and the claims I make for it, before we get into the weightier matters with my Atheism 101 Exercise.

                To: Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com
                From: rayausban@...
                Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 19:05:59 -0700

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 27, 2014
                  One problem with counting atheists is that atheism can seize a person momentarily, only to release him later. Foxholes, for example, don't turn up a very high percentage of atheists.
                  It's interesting that the organization which styles itself "Atheists in Foxholes" does not at any time claim any number of atheists actually occupying a foxhole.

                  Mr. Buck