Russian Meteorite Recovered Today!

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 16, 2013

      See:

      http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/17/world/europe/meteorite-pulled-from-russian-lake-breaks-into-3-pieces.html?_r=0

      (excerpt)

      - "As it was recovered, the meteorite fragment — which
      - Russian scientists have estimated is more than 4.5
      - billion years old, or about as old as the solar system..."

      Nick Lally of the Creation Science Hall of Fame (CSHF) was contacted and he estimated that the fragment was no more than 6,000 years old.

      Terry Hurlbut, a Director at the CSHF, seconded Nick's estimate.

      --------------------------------------

    • bucksburg
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 17, 2013

        Anyone who can estimate the age of a muddy rock from a photograph is welcome to assign any age they like. Clearly this will be based on their presuppositions, not from any  kind of analysis of the evidence.

        Painting Lally and Hurlburt with the same brush does nothing to tarnish their reputations.

        The 6000 year figure sounds way too old to me, but I'm not assigning dates based on an online photograph.

        Even though millions of people claim to have pinpointed the birth date of Barack Obama that way.

        Mr. Buck

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 17, 2013
          Buck,

          Do you think I have misrepresented Lally and Hurlbut?

          If so, you might wish to contact them and ask them to personally appear to clarify their position.

          Also, please note that my representations only suggested that Lally and Hurlbut, like so many of the fellows they have sought to honor in their Hall of Fame, had a presupposed maximum age for the object and that without the need to even consider the photographs, much less any physical data.

          To: Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 17, 2013

            Do you think I have misrepresented Lally and Hurlbut?

            Well, at first blush it appeared you were answering for them based on what you thought they believed. If you actually did contact them, I'll take your word for it.

            I don't know of any theory of solar system formation that could fit in asteroids being 6000 years old, but they're pretty safe saying 'no more than 6000' which means they are using their presuppostions to date the asteroid, just like the Russians were.

            To: Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 17, 2013
              Buck,

              No, I didn't contact them personally.

              To that extent, a little humor/satire/parody was intended.

              However, I was quite serious if you want to get worked up over it and think my representations are inaccurate.

              I would certainly welcome their personal, direct input and affirmation or denial regarding my representations; and that with specificity.

              To: Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 18, 2013
                From: bucksburg

                Do you think I have misrepresented Lally and Hurlbut?
                Well, at first blush it appeared you were answering for them based on what you thought they believed. If you actually did contact them, I'll take your word for it.

                I don't know of any theory of solar system formation that could fit in asteroids being 6000 years old, but they're pretty safe saying 'no more than 6000' which means they are using their presuppostions to date the asteroid, just like the Russians were.

                Pi:
                I know Hurlbut on-line.

                With 100% certainty, I can vouch his position is that the comets, meteors, and asteroids originated in a huge steam explosion on Earth that was part of Noah's alleged flood event.  Hurlbut is an ardent supporter of Walt Brown's "Hydroplate" flood model.

                The only problem is that, under Brown's proposal, a flood would have been the least of Noah's problems.  Brown claims the release of the energy of 1800 TRILLION hydrogen bombs.  He can dispose of 99.99995% of that energy any way he wants, if less than 0.00005% enters the atmosphere, Noah's goose would be cooked.