Ken Ham's Museum in Financial Trouble?

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 26, 2013
      http://deadstate.org/kentuckys-creation-museum-in-financial-trouble-due-to-declining-attendance-video/

      Kentucky's `Creation Museum' in Financial Trouble Due to Declining Attendance (VIDEO)

      By DeadState
      June 25, 2013

      In a developing story from Kentucky, the Creation Museum
      is running out of money due to declining attendance,
      bringing their "Ark Encounter" project to a stand-still
      because of a lack of funding.

      Interestingly, the reason for the slowing traffic seems
      to be creationism itself, since the main exhibit has
      literally not changed in 5 years. Most museums' exhibits
      change as new discoveries are made, as artifacts travel
      from other museums to visit, or as adjustments in scientific
      thinking are made.

      Another reason could be the demographic that creationism's
      proponents target.

      Mark Joseph Stern from Slate.com writes:

      - A spectacle like the Creation Museum
      - has a pretty limited audience. Sure,
      - 46 percent of Americans profess to
      - believe in creationism, but how many
      - are enthusiastic enough to venture to
      - Kentucky to spend nearly $30 to see a
      - diorama of a little boy palling around
      - with a vegetarian dinosaur? The museum's
      - target demographic may not be eager to
      - lay down that much money: Belief in
      - creationism correlates to less education,
      - and less education correlates to lower
      - income.

      In hopes to draw repeat customers, the museum has added
      zip-lining and sky bridge courses to their attractions
      this summer.

      But when confronted by critics who wonder what the zip-
      lining and sky bridge attractions have to do with the
      museum's message, Mike Zovath, the museums co-founder
      and vice president, says that the extra activities are
      irrelevant.

      - "No matter what exhibit we add,
      - the message stays the same,"

      Zovath said.

      - "It's all about God's word and
      - the authority of God's word and
      - showing that all of these things,
      - whether it's bugs, dinosaurs or
      - dragons — it all fits with God's
      - word."

      In their opening year, the Creation Museum garnered around
      400,000 visitors, but that number steadily decreased in the
      following two years, with just over 254,000 visitors showing
      up this last year.

      Watch WCPO's Channel 9 report on the Creation Museum in the
      video below.

      (Go to link above for video feed.)

      -----------------------------------
      -----------------------------------
    • bucksburg
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2, 2013
        The answer is, "NO!"

        The Museum is doing just fine. They have no debt, and, as far as I know, a positive cash flow. They wisely limited the number of $1000 lifetime memberships they sold to raise capital, and most of the 5-year $500 memberships are about to run out--meaning a higher percentage of visitors will be paying customers.

        The Ark Encounter, however, is not doing well at all. Inasmuch as it is corporately separate from the Creation Museum, this will have no impact on operations at the Museum. In fact, AIG will be left with the balance of cash raised to be used for some other legal purpose--or which, if refunded to the donors, will probably raise income to the Museum, which was probably temporarily diverted to get the Ark Encounter going.

        Daniel
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2, 2013
          Interesting spin, Daniel.

          Time will tell.

          I guess what you are saying/implying, in part, is that if the Ark fails Ken Ham will be able to, legally, spend the money from the Ark fund-raising to keep up appearances for his museum.

          If the museum is debt free with a positive cash-flow, what is the break-even point?

          Any details on that?

          If attendance continues to go down, when do they start running in the red and what plans do they have in place for that contingency?

          Ken Ham is at retirement age?
          What then?

          "bucksburg" <bucksburg@...> wrote, in part:

          > The Museum is doing just fine.
          >
          > They have no debt, and, as far as I know,
          > a positive cash flow.
          >
          > The Ark Encounter, however, is not doing
          > well at all.
          >
          > Inasmuch as it is corporately separate
          > from the Creation Museum, this will have
          > no impact on operations at the Museum.
          >
          > In fact, AIG will be left with the balance
          > of cash raised to be used for some other
          > legal purpose--or which, if refunded to
          > the donors, will probably raise income
          > to the Museum, which was probably
          > temporarily diverted to get the Ark
          > Encounter going.

        • bucksburg
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 3, 2013
            Well, I haven't had a look at AIG's latest balance sheet, but Ken Ham clearly has. He writes:

            "They will say incredible things like the Creation Museums revenues are down and the museum is about to fold! (For the record, museum revenues have not declined but are consistent with last year. In fact, revenues were above budget as the fiscal year 2012–2013 just closed. For all of AiG, our revenues are up from the previous year.)

            Some bloggers also falsely say that we are not adding new exhibits to the museum, thus we are stale and people have stopped coming. Well, contrary to the critics, the museum has been so successful (far more people have visited than we projected in 2007 when we opened) that we are able to add new exhibits each year. Just a few weeks ago, we opened a world-class insect display, a fantastic dragon exhibit, and added new Bibles to the Verbum Domini collection."
            http://blogs.answersingenesis.org/blogs/ken-ham/2013/07/02/its-both-good-and-bad/

            And as far as keeping up attendance, they can always lower ticket prices. Which they have already begun to do.

            Daniel

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 3, 2013
              "bucksburg" <bucksburg@...> wrote:

              > Well, I haven't had a look at AIG's
              > latest balance sheet, but Ken Ham
              > clearly has.
              >
              > He writes:
              >
              > (snip).

              For some reason, Jim Bakker comes to mind.

              We'll see how the history plays out.

              I just looked at the latest Forms 990 on GuideStar and got this information:

              Year Ended 06/30/2011 Income $19,370,417.00
              Year Ended 06/30/2010 Income $22,065,512.00

              I don't know what the story is as to why the 06/30/2012 Form 990 is not on GuideStar.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 4, 2013
                Apparently Ken Ham was a little ticked off (he does appear quite a defensive type when it comes to public relations) about recent stories of financial problems with his empire.

                See:

                http://www.wnd.com/2013/07/magazine-in-hot-water-over-noahs-ark/

                There seems to be some helpful facts that are not in that story. It continues to be a story to watch as AiG continues on its way and Ken Ham gets closer to retirement.

              • bucksburg
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 9, 2013
                  Ken has more to say on his free (but fraudulent) publicity:

                  http://blogs.answersingenesis.org/blogs/ken-ham/2013/08/08/found-out-by-the-huffington-post/

                  Buck