A reminder!

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 6, 2002
      Shortly before the demise of my short-lived list a few days ago,
      progress had been made by our mystery member in that Steve Rudd
      appears to have finally figured out that he was falsely claiming the
      Maury tombstone was at the U.S. Naval Academy instead of the
      Hollywood Cemetery in Richmond, VA.

      We have no official word from Steve Rudd regarding that matter. It
      is just the case that he removed his false report and changed his
      website.

      However, we are reminded that his Maury website still begins with the
      following:

      ###############################

      http://www.bible.ca/tracks/matthew-fontaine-maury-pathfinder-of-sea-
      ps8.htm

      "I (Steve Rudd) find it incredible that the US Naval academy would
      not only publish the story if untrue in 1929, but then puts the quote
      of the entire verse of Ps 8:8 "Paths of the seas" on his monument.
      What did the US Naval academy know that modern skeptics don't know
      that would lead them to do this? The book also references an earlier
      newspaper story that says the same thing."

      Text copied December 6, 2002

      ###############################

      My comments:

      I have repeatedly challenged folks to encourage Steve Rudd to deal
      with the above statement which appears false and/or misleading.

      You will note there are no references given to exactly what he is
      talking about.

      What story was published by the U.S. Naval Academy and where is the
      specific citation to anything the U.S. Naval Academy published on the
      matter?

      Did the U.S. Naval Academy put something on the Maury monument? What
      monument, exactly, and where is the evidence of the U.S. Naval
      Academy's involvement in what went on it?

      "The book"!!! What book put out by the U.S. Naval Academy is Steve
      Rudd talking about?

      I know that Steve Rudd references in his notes a book by C.L. Lewis
      that was published by the U.S. Naval Institute (not the U.S. Naval
      Academy). I know that that book has a publisher's note (which is not
      part of the Lewis biographical material) which copies a newspaper
      article announcing the presentation of the Maury monument in
      Richmond. The reporter there gives a cutesy account of the Maury
      legend that seems to have really impressed Steve Rudd and countless
      others for some odd reason. Maybe Steve Rudd considers such
      reporters as authoritative historians?

      So, I am still wondering. With the small progress on the Maury
      tombstone we recently accomplished, though Steve Rudd will probably
      never make any announcements or give us credit for that, I am
      wondering when we might expect him to work on his introductory
      materials on his Maury website. They do seem to need some work!

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 6, 2002
        --- In Maury_and_Baty@y..., "rlbaty50" <rlbaty@w...> wrote, in part:

        http://www.bible.ca/tracks/matthew-fontaine-maury-pathfinder-of-sea-
        ps8.htm

        "I (Steve Rudd) find it incredible that the US Naval academy would
        not only publish the story if untrue in 1929, but then puts the quote
        of the entire verse of Ps 8:8 "Paths of the seas" on his monument.
        What did the US Naval academy know that modern skeptics don't know
        that would lead them to do this? The book also references an earlier
        newspaper story that says the same thing."

        Text copied December 6, 2002

        ##############################

        My further comments:

        Elsewhere in Steve Rudd's article the following statement is made:

        "Matthew Fontaine Maury, Pathfinder of the Seas, by C.L. Lewis. 1927
        by the U. S. Naval Institute, RECOUNTS THE ENTIRE STORY."

        Here again is a reference indicating that Steve Rudd might not know
        what he is talking about. You will note the C.L. Lewis book was put
        out by the U.S. Naval Institute, as opposed to the U.S. Naval
        Academy. I have been asking and asking for someone to ask Steve Rudd
        about his knowledge of the difference between the two!

        C.L. Lewis gives a respectable account of Maury's life, but I found
        nowhere in his biographical text any reference to any sick-bed, bible-
        reading claim. Nor did I find any such claim from any other
        legitimate biographer of Maury.

        That "publisher's note" added to the back of the book regarding the
        presentation of the Maury monument in Richmond merely copies a local
        newspaper article. Buried within that article is the cutesy story
        recounted by the local newspaper reporter (who probably would have
        preferred to be reporting on something else; you think) about the
        Maury legend.

        Now, if Steve Rudd and others thought he needed to clean up his act
        and correct what looks like his false report regarding the Maury
        tombstone, you would think he would get to work on cleaning up his
        introductory materials and providing legitimate references to his
        claims.

        We'll stand by. Hey, maybe this time he will actually see to it that
        his official announcement makes its way to this list, with credit
        being given where credit is due??