Sye Ten Bruggencate gets a blog review!

    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 30, 2013
      http://turretinfan.blogspot.com/2013/04/how-to-answer-fool-sye-ten-bruggencate.html

      Reformed Apologetics and Polemics

      How to Answer the Fool - Sye Ten Bruggencate

      By Francis Turretin
      Tuesday, April 30, 2013

      American Vision and Sye Ten Bruggencate have collaborated
      to provide "How to Answer the Fool." I had the pleasure of
      listening to the presentation for free, courtesy of Crown
      Rights Media, who were also involved. The presentation was
      about 85 minutes long, and is focused on the apologetic
      method. I did not see the study guide.

      The video provides a presentation of the apologetics approach
      in which the revelation of Scripture has preeminence (often
      called the "presuppositional" approach).

      The analysis is critical of the evidentialist approaches,
      using examples from folks like Lee Strobel, John Lennox,
      Frank Turek, and William Lane Craig.

      There is also criticism of Rick Warren and his "give Jesus
      a try" approach as well as a brief criticism of Pascal's wager.

      It is not just a lecture on apologetic methodology. There are
      some examples of open air apologetics applying this approach.

      Still, there is an explanation of the methodology and with
      the problems with rejecting the methodology.

      One of the most interesting parts of the video come from an
      interview that began as a discussion with atheists, but had
      a surprising twist, which pointed out how the methodology
      does not need to be limited to those who call themselves
      atheists.

      I really loved the video.

      As Sye emphasizes in the video, the methodology's big advantage
      is that it drives you back to Scripture. Certain distinctive
      aspects of the methodology are emphasized (precisely because
      they are distinctive), so people may come away with the idea
      that all of the discussion is just asking one or two easy to
      ask questions.

      Still, he takes care to point out that it is more than that.

      Cinematically, the presentation is developed with an
      intentionally "gritty" feel.

      While those techniques are not my personal favorite, they
      convey the point that this presentation is intended to be
      for the streets, even though it is skillfully produced.

      The elements of the presentation flow well, and even the
      rap in the credits time of the video is on point.

      At one point in the video, one might come away with the
      idea that Sye does not consider himself accountable to
      anyone but God.

      I suspect that this point was not clarified because of
      a desire to focus on the topic at hand. There are
      subordinate authorities, of course, including the overseers
      in the church, family authority, and the civil authorities.

      -TurretinFan

      Disclaimer: as noted above, I did not pay to see this video,
      but was instead permitted to view the video without charge.

      READERS' COMMENTS:

      From: Sye Ten Bruggencate
      Date: Tuesday, April 30, 2013
      Time: About 5:30 AM MT

      Thanks for your positive and fair review!

      Indeed I am accountable to earthly authorities
      as well. I am Presbyterian after all :-)

      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 30, 2013
        http://turretinfan.blogspot.com/2013/04/how-to-answer-fool-sye-ten-bruggencate.html

        READERS' COMMMENT:

        From: Robert Baty
        Date: Tuesday, April 30, 2013
        Time: About 6:50 AM MT

        While the world awaits the release of the DVD, I continue
        to wait for Sye, or his duly appointed surrogagte, to begin
        the negotiations, openly and in good faith, for the production
        of a discussion of why it is that I propose, without successful rebuttal to date, that Sye's much touted "proof of God" provides
        NO "proof of God".

        I am still available should Sye or any of his duly appointed surrogates wish to engage me in the production of such a
        discussion and begin the negotiations.

        --- In Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com,

        From: Sye Ten Bruggencate
        Date: Tuesday, April 30, 2013
        Time: About 5:30 AM MT

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 30, 2013
          More Reader's Comments:

          http://turretinfan.blogspot.com/2013/04/how-to-answer-fool-sye-ten-bruggencate.html

          READERS' COMMENTS:

          (3)

          From: Turretin Fan
          Date: Tuesday, April 30, 2013
          Time: About 8:00 AM MT

          rlbaty:

          The fact that you're asking for such a debate suggests
          you haven't understood the point Sye is making.

          There's an assumption behind your question, namely that
          you can stand in judgment over God's Word and decide
          whether it is good enough or not.

          That assumption is wrong.

          -TurretinFan

          (4)

          From: Robert Baty
          Date: Tuesday, April 30, 2013
          Time: About 8:30 AM MT

          - Turretin Fan:

          I don't think you understand what at play here.

          Perhaps if Sye or his appointed surrogate ever shows up
          to negotiate a discussion of the issue as proposed, or
          some other mutually acceptable issue, we will learn more
          of the merits of Sye's "apologetic" and my unrebutted
          criticism thereof.

          "rlbaty50" <rlbaty@...> wrote:

          http://turretinfan.blogspot.com/2013/04/how-to-answer-fool-sye-ten-bruggencate.html

          READERS' COMMMENT:

          (2)

          From: Sye Ten Bruggencate
          Date: Tuesday, April 30, 2013
          Time: About 5:30 AM MT

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 30, 2013
            ---

            Who is the "Turretin Fan" who operates that blog?

            http://www.blogger.com/profile/01802277110253897379

            Turretinfan

            On Blogger since January 2006

            Profile views - 15443

            My blogs

            - Thoughts of Francis Turretin
            - TurretinFan's Beta-Test Blog
            - Ancient Voices
            - Pope Francis Turretin
            - Turretinia
            - Turretin Debate Blog
            - Criticism of Turretinfan
            - Reformed Boor

            Blogs I follow

            - Thoughts of Francis Turretin

            About me

            - Gender: Male
            -
            - Introduction
            --
            -- Reformed Apologist
            -- Male
            -- Adult
            -- Bible-Believing
            -- 5 Solas
            -- 5 Petals on my Tulip
            -- Ecclesiastically Presbyterian
            -- not Federal Visionist
            -- Optimistic in my eschatology,
            -- but not dogmatic
            -- Opposed to the errors of Rome
            -- Opposed to the errors of Pelagius
            -- Trinitarian
            -- In favor of Christian liberty
            --
            -- Otherwise Anonymous
            -
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 30, 2013

              > Who is the "Turretin Fan" who operates that blog? <

              Reportedly, he's a deacon at a PCA church in Cleveland, OH, and works in a Cleveland law office. Or, maybe their branch office in Arizona.

              At any rate, he's very skilled in the art of electronically covering his tracks. And well versed in the law, capable of alerting would-be exposers of his identity as to the consequences they may face for doing so.

              Whatever the case, his identity, like that of autobiographer Calpernia Addams, remains unknown to the world at large.

              Daniel
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 30, 2013
                "bucksburg" <bucksburg@...> wrote:

                > --- In Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com,
                > "rlbaty50" <rlbaty@> wrote:
                >
                >> Who is the "Turretin Fan"
                >> who operates that blog? <
                >
                > Reportedly, he's a deacon at a PCA church
                > in Cleveland, OH, and works in a Cleveland
                > law office. Or, maybe their branch office
                > in Arizona.
                >
                > At any rate, he's very skilled in the art
                > of electronically covering his tracks. And
                > well versed in the law, capable of alerting
                > would-be exposers of his identity as to the
                > consequences they may face for doing so.
                >
                > Whatever the case, his identity, like that
                > of autobiographer Calpernia Addams, remains
                > unknown to the world at large.

                Daniel,

                Thanks for that additional insight into the anonymous "Turretin Fan".

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 30, 2013
                  ---

                  This exchange with Sye just in from the "Turretin Fan" blog:

                  http://turretinfan.blogspot.com/2013/04/how-to-answer-fool-sye-ten-bruggencate.html

                  (5)

                  From: Sye Ten Bruggencate
                  Date: Tuesday, April 30, 2013
                  Time: About 7:00 PM MT

                  I have offered to debate Robert
                  over Skype.

                  He has declined - for obvious reasons.

                  (6)

                  From: Robert Baty
                  Date: Tuesday, April 30, 2013
                  Time: About 7:05 PM MT

                  Sye Ten Bruggencate has a problem
                  with being honest about my efforts
                  to get him to come out, come clean,
                  and openly, honestly negotiate the
                  appropriate details necessary to
                  produce the proposed discussion as
                  to why Sye's much-touted "proof of
                  God" is NO "proof of God".

                  Venue is only one issue for
                  consideration, and Sye has yet to
                  engage the negotiations in good faith
                  or explicitly refuse to engage in a
                  written discussion.

                  Will Sye now be coming out for the
                  negotiations, in good faith?

                  We will see!

                  ------------------------------------
                  ------------------------------------
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 30, 2013
                    ---

                    The "Turretin Fan" returns to the exchange"

                    http://turretinfan.blogspot.com/2013/04/how-to-answer-fool-sye-ten-bruggencate.html

                    (7)

                    From: Turretin Fan
                    Date: Tuesday, April 30, 2013
                    Time: About 8:00 PM MT

                    Robert:

                    What is your ultimate authority?

                    -TurretinFan

                    (8)

                    From: Robert Baty
                    Date: Tuesday, April 30, 2013
                    Time: About 8:25 PM MT

                    My experience over the last few weeks with Sye and those
                    who provide cover for him is that one of the first things
                    they want to do is change the subject and evade dealing
                    with Sye's much-touted "proof of God" claim which, I
                    propose, is NO "proof of God".

                    It seems to me to be a very simple matter that does not
                    require much consideration.

                    The lengths to which Sye and his sympathizers have gone
                    to in order to evade dealing with what appears to me to
                    be "false advertising" is, to me, a pretty good indication
                    that Sye and his sympathizers realize that, whatever Sye's Presuppositional apologetics may be, it does not provide a
                    "proof of God" as Sye claims.

                    I would like to test my analysis of Sye's "proof of God"
                    claim.

                    I think I have, but not directly with a defender of Sye's
                    "proof of God" claim.

                    I think Sye should quit making his apologetic into a
                    "proof of God".

                    It might be good for street preachin' and such, a good
                    conversation starter maybe, but as a "proof of God" it
                    isn't; so I contend without Sye or his surrogate to rebut
                    my analysis.

                    Turreting Fan, perhaps you have the moral influence to
                    get Sye to come out, come clean and openly and honestly
                    take up the negotiations with me in order to produce
                    the proposed discussion.

                    Perhaps you don't!

                    Otherwise, if you want to demonstrate a little good faith
                    and have your secondary and tertiary interests in me
                    discussed, you are welcome to make your appearance at my
                    place.

                    Here's the address to my place,

                    Anyone can post there. All you have to do is address an
                    email to the following address and follow the public
                    archives at the above link:

                    Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com

                    You might want to browse the 10 years of history there
                    in order to familiarize yourself with me.

                    Otherwise, Turretin Fan, I have grown weary in dealing
                    with anonymous sorts. You might want to first introduce
                    yourself before presuming to interrogate me.

                    It ain't about me; it's about Sye's alleged "false
                    advertising".

                    -------------------------
                    -------------------------
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 30, 2013
                      ---

                      The anonymous "Turretin Fan" grows a little testy as if to use that as a rather lame excuse to provide yet further cover for Sye Ten Bruggencate as he continues his "run" from me.

                      http://turretinfan.blogspot.com/2013/04/how-to-answer-fool-sye-ten-bruggencate.html

                      (9)

                      From: Turretin Fan
                      Date: Tuesday, April 30, 2013
                      Time: About 8:30 PM MT

                      Robert:

                      You didn't answer my question
                      and you expressed weariness in
                      dealing with me.

                      Plus, you're suggesting my
                      brother's dishonest.

                      I can't see any reason for putting
                      up with such an ill-mannered guest.

                      -TurretinFan

                      (10)

                      From: Robert Baty
                      Date: Tuesday, April 30, 2013
                      Time: About 8:40 PM MT

                      - Turretin Fan:

                      Run off if you will.

                      Many before you have done
                      likewise.

                      Sye has not been honest with
                      his dealings with me, and he's
                      had plenty of like-minded folks
                      following his lead.

                      It was not really intended to
                      be a "suggestion".

                      I have archived much of that
                      important history at my place.

                      Show up there if you want to
                      talk particulars.

                      I think you failed to understand
                      the point of my weariness.

                      You are welcome to remain as
                      anonymous as you want; just don't
                      think you have any special case
                      for questioning me if that's your
                      course.

                      I may patronize you somewhat if
                      you have something relevant to
                      say; maybe not.

                      Otherwise, I continue to wait to
                      see if Sye will come out, come
                      clean and openly and honestly
                      negotiate the details necessary
                      to produce the proposed discussion.

                      ---------------------------------
                      ---------------------------------
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 30, 2013
                        ---

                        The anonymous "Turretin Fan" cuts and runs and represents only the latest in a long line of Sye Ten Bruggencate sympathizers to provide cover for Sye and his false claim to have the "proof of God" which I continue to claim, without a rebuttal correspondent, is NO "proof of God".

                        Note the following regarding my last three postings to that website:

                        http://turretinfan.blogspot.com/2013/04/how-to-answer-fool-sye-ten-bruggencate.html

                        - This comment has been
                        - deleted by the administrator.

                        - This comment has been deleted
                        - by the administrator.

                        - This comment has been deleted
                        - by the administrator.

                        Another important peg in the history of the failure of Presuppositionalism is so noted.

                        Run, Sye, run!
                        See Sye run!

                        ----------------------------
                        ----------------------------
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 1, 2013
                          Now this courtesy of one of "Turretin Fan's" fans:

                          http://turretinfan.blogspot.com/2013/04/how-to-answer-fool-sye-ten-bruggencate.html

                          (11)

                          From: SlimJim
                          Date: Wednesday, May 1, 2013