Re: As Aaron Swartz's case fades, new ones arise!

    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 21, 2013
      Ned Netterville <nednetterville@...> wrote, in part:

      > Robert,
      >
      > Voluntaryists would... which would, of course,
      > exonerate Aaron Schwarz.

      Similarly, if we would only repeal laws against..., we could eliminate prison over-crowding and exonerate rapists, bank robbers, Bernie Madoff, Charles Manson, etc., etc., etc.

    • Ned Netterville
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 21, 2013
        The similarity is not logical. Real crimes, like those you name, have victims. Who was victimized by Aaron Schwarz's crime?

        On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 3:13 PM, rlbaty50 <rlbaty@...> wrote:

        --- In Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com,
        Ned Netterville <nednetterville@...> wrote, in part:

        > Robert,
        >
        > Voluntaryists would... which would, of course,
        > exonerate Aaron Schwarz.

        Similarly, if we would only repeal laws against..., we could eliminate prison over-crowding and exonerate rapists, bank robbers, Bernie Madoff, Charles Manson, etc., etc., etc.

        Love your enemies; it befuddles 'em!--Ned Netterville
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 21, 2013
          Ned,

          It would not seem to me to be productive to quibble with you about "real crimes" and "victim/victimless crimes".

          You spoke of exoneration, and that was the subject I addressed.

          I think my logic was impeccable, valid and sound.

          That is, criminals of all stripes can be exonerated if the laws which they transgress are repealed, retroactively.

          Ned, are you now proposing that some Government is appropriate, some laws justified and subject to enforcement by "the long arm of the law/Government", and maybe even some taxes levied to pay for the operations thereof?

          Ned Netterville <nednetterville@...> wrote:

          > The similarity is not logical.
          >
          > Real crimes, like those you name,
          > have victims.
          >
          > Who was victimized by Aaron Schwarz's crime?
          >
          > On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 3:13 PM,
          > rlbaty50 <rlbaty@...> wrote:
          >
          >> --- In Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com,
          >> Ned Netterville <nednetterville@> wrote, in part:
          >>
          >>> Robert,
          >>>
          >>> Voluntaryists would... which would, of course,
          >>> exonerate Aaron Schwarz.
          >>
          >> Similarly, if we would only repeal laws
          >> against..., we could eliminate prison
          >> over-crowding and exonerate rapists,
          >> bank robbers, Bernie Madoff, Charles Manson,
          >> etc., etc., etc.
        • Ned Netterville
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 21, 2013
            Robert, OK, I see. I should read more carefully. You are right! (Add a Ned notch.) But the analogy was onerous because of the Grand-Canyon size distinction between actions that harm people and victimless crimes.

            No, not proposing as you suggest. No need for government or its laws,

            Ned

            --
            Love your enemies; it befuddles 'em!--Ned Netterville
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 22, 2013
              Ned Netterville wrote most recently, in part:

              > No, not proposing as you suggest.
              > No need for government or its laws.

              --- In Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com,
              Ned Netterville wrote, in part:

              > Voluntaryists would do away with...which
              > would, of course, exonerate Aaron Schwarz.

              Just for clarification, Ned, in proposing the exoneration of Aaron Swartz, you did not mean to limit your exoneration proposal; right?

              That is, your proposal would exonerate the likes of drunk drivers, rapists, shop lifters, graffiti artists, speeders, bank robbers, Bernie Madoffs and Charles Mansons as well; right?

              --- In Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com,
              Ned Netterville wrote, in part:

              > Real crimes, like those you name,
              > have victims.

              That kinda sounded like you were in favor of "real crimes", but now you sound like you are for not having any crimes or criminals.