What? A Mormon Leader With Tax Problems!

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 4 8:53 PM
      Ray,

      You might be interested in this case:

      https://www.ustaxcourt.gov/UstcDockInq/DocumentViewer.aspx?IndexID=5971325

      It's a "regular Tax Court decision", so it carries a little more significance in the overall scheme of things.

      Of particular interest is the decision that the IRS doesn't have to take into account and allow tithes and college educations in figuring how much a taxpayer should be able to pay towards unpaid tax liabilities.

      It also, and of course, rules that such a position is not a violation of the 1st Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

      Looks like the Mormon wound up owing about $1,000,000.00.
      HMMM?

      (Another case where, quite unfortunately according to some, the IRS is quite slow in catching up with the non-compliant.)

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 5 6:57 AM
        An interesting excerpt from one of today's U.S. Tax Court decisions involving a Mormon leader who managed to run up a $1,000,000 unpaid tax bill over a number of years and had a fuss with the IRS as to how much of it he should be trying to pay:

        https://www.ustaxcourt.gov/UstcDockInq/DocumentViewer.aspx?IndexID=5971325

        140 T.C. No. 4

        UNITED STATES TAX COURT

        GEORGE THOMPSON,
        Petitioner

        v.

        COMMISSIONER OF
        INTERNAL REVENUE,
        Respondent

        Docket No. 10897-09L.

        Filed March 4, 2013

        Issue

        1. Tithing

        This issue involves whether petitioner's asserted
        religious obligation to tithe can trump his
        obligation to pay substantial amounts of delinquent
        penalties and Petitioner does not meet the
        requirements of sec.6159(c), which if met would
        require respondent to enter into a full payment
        installment agreement.

        Petitioner introduced evidence, including a
        biblical passage from the Old Testament,
        to support his position.

        See Malachi 3:8-10.

        This brings to mind another biblical passage
        suggesting an answer to this type of dilemma:

        > "Render therefore to Caesar
        > the things that are Caesar's,
        > and to God the things that
        > are God's."
        >
        > Matthew 22:21.

        However, even this formulation presents the
        dilemma of determining which things fall
        into the two respective categories.

        While we may be incapable of determining
        what belongs to God, we believe that we
        can, and must, decide what is Caesar's.

        Therefore, we will consider this issue using
        the latter approach based on existing procedures
        and precedent.

      • Ray Ausban