Re: A cool scooter ride around the reservoir today!

  • Todd Greene
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 27, 2013
      Here in Michigan I ride my scooter in the winter, as long as the roads I'm riding on are clear of snow and ice. This winter I've ridden in temperatures as low as the low 20s. (Last winter I remember riding one day when the temp was somewhere in the teens; IIRC it was not much above 10.) The main thing is to have thick socks and good riding shoes/boots; long underwear or, better, sweatpants, under jeans (slacks don't cut it as well); and on my torso I wear five layers - long-sleeved t-shirt, long-sleeved shirt, hoody, regular jacket, and leather jacket over everything; a balaclava under the hoody's hood, inside the helmet - or use a neck scarf at least, if you don't have a balaclava; and then insulated leather gloves, of course. This has served me well, as just things you can put together. Of course, you can purchase an outfit like what snowmobile drivers use. I haven't tried that yet, but I suspect if I try to drive a motorcycle (higher speeds) in such cold weather I'll need to get some gear like that designed specifically for use in cold weather.

      - Todd

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 27, 2013
        Being a poor immigrant, I don't have the fancy gear. I am more like you in that respect.

        I was layered up today, but my hands got a little cold. I could use a better pair of gloves; insulated leather sounds good, but it seems like gloves are sooooooo overpriced.

        Also, speed does have a definite affect on one's riding comfort in such weather.

        So, Todd, plan on waiting until later when it's much warmer and trails are open up in the hills. It will be a lot more fun.

        See you when you get here; if you get here!