FW: Robert Randolph (MIT): On Politics & Religion!

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 25 9:01 AM
      From: Robert Randolph
      To: stone-campbell@...
      Date: Monday, February 25, 2013 16:31:56 +0000

      (excerpts)

      (I)t is always hard to know how to respond to...
      when he gets on a toot as a sainted relative used
      to say about a well known preacher.

      When he illustrates, as he did here, my contention
      that segments of the RM became more sectarian over
      time, I am inclined to let it lie.

      But there might be some virtue for all of us to look
      again at...

      I also will share a bit of the introduction to a new
      book by Jonathan Haidt,

      > The Righteous Mind:
      > Why good People are Divided by Politics and Religion.

      Haidt explains why he titled the book as he did and then makes
      this observation:

      > "the link of righteousness and judgmentalismÂ…appears
      > in the term self-righteous, which means 'convinced
      > of one's own righteousness, especially in contrast
      > with the actions and beliefs of others; narrowly
      > moralistic and intolerant.
      >
      > I want to show you that an obsession with righteousness
      > (leading inevitably to self-righteousness) is the
      > normal human condition."

      It is the way we are wired; ...cannot help it and neither
      can those of us who differ with him.

      We all value the conclusions we have reached and while
      we may test them in conversations, it takes time and
      reflection to modify them.

      So I remind us all to reflect before we respond and
      sometimes simply think about a contention without
      responding.

      What is different in talking with ... is that he seldom
      reflects and there is little sign of the respect he
      demands offered to those with whom he is talking.

      I understand that he was trained to operate that way
      and I do not expect him to change, but I do expect
      him to be civil, thoughtful and respectful of those
      who have spent time as he has reaching conclusions
      to live by.

      Dr. Robert M. Randolph
      Chaplain to the Institute
      Housemaster, Bexley Hall