Re: Sye Ten Bruggencate v. Robert Baty - Proof of God?

    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 25, 2013
      Another analysis of my run-in with Sye Ten Bruggencate:

      http://www.facebook.com/erichovind
      http://www.proofthatgodexists.org/

      (53)

      From: Alex Botten
      Date: Monday, February 25, 2013
      Time: About

      Most amused to see Danny hide behind Sye's skirts!

      Then both of them running away squealing 'victory!'
      is too much!

      "rlbaty50" <rlbaty@...> wrote:

      http://www.facebook.com/erichovind
      http://www.proofthatgodexists.org/

      (52)

      From: Robert Baty
      Date: Sunday, February 24, 2013
      Time: About 9:15 PM MT

      My Summary of the Bruggencate v. Baty Exchange

      http://www.facebook.com/erichovind
      http://www.proofthatgodexists.org/

      I propose that despite my effort to bring out a legitimate
      opponent, including Sye Ten Bruggencate, Eric Hovind, and
      Danny Hoogestraat, none dared to openly, honestly engage me
      in a discussion of the Sye's and Eric's much publicized and
      much promoted position regarding their alleged "proof of God"
      or rebutted any of my simple claims addressing the fundamental problem with the
      position popularized by Sye and Eric.

      Sye Ten Bruggencate and Eric Hovind say:

      - "The Proof that God exists is that
      - without Him you couldn't prove anything."

      That claim implicitly presents the following argument for consideration:

      Major Premise:

      - If you can prove something,
      - then God exists.

      Minor Premise:

      - You can prove something.

      Conclusion:

      - Therefore, God exists.

      Three simple questions fundamental to our evaluation of
      that argument and Sye's and Eric's positions related thereto:

      1.

      Do you think the argument is so constructed
      that if its premises are true its conclusion
      will follow as true therefrom?

      - Sye Ten Bruggencate - Yes
      - Eric Hovind - Yes

      - Robert Baty - Yes

      2.

      Do you think the minor premise is true?

      - Sye Ten Bruggencate - Yes
      - Eric Hovind - Yes

      - Robert Baty - Yes

      3.

      Do you think the major premise is true?

      - Sye Ten Bruggencate - Yes
      - Eric Hovind - Yes

      - Robert Baty - No

      The key to establishing the "proof of God" as claimed by
      Sye and Eric is in the establishment that the major premise
      is true.

      This, I propose, Sye and Eric cannot do, have not done.

      It is not disputed that Sye and Eric "believe" their major
      premise to be true (i.e., - If you can prove something, then
      God exists).

      However, Sye and Eric cannot be considered to have "proved"
      that God exists by simply declaring their belief in a premise
      that is beyond their ability to "prove".

      In my opinion, Sye and Eric and their followers should be
      more careful than to try and claim they have the "proof of
      God" in that argument when they do not.

      My invitation remains outstanding should any wish to discuss
      with me Sye's and Eric's argument, my analysis of their
      position related thereto, and the problem with it.

      I request that if you wish to take the matter up with me
      further, that you requite my love for this venue and join
      me at my place:

      You don't have to be a member to participate there, though
      membership has its privileges.

      You can participate by following the action via the website
      above and simply sending an email address to:

      Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com

      See you there, or not!