Young earth creationists routinely ignore the existence of xenoliths

  • Todd Greene
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 23, 2013
      Xenolith
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenolith

      A xenolith (Ancient Greek: "foreign rock") is a rock fragment which becomes enveloped in a larger rock during the latter's development and hardening. In geology, the term xenolith is almost exclusively used to describe inclusions in igneous rock during magma emplacement and eruption. Xenoliths may be engulfed along the margins of a magma chamber, torn loose from the walls of an erupting lava conduit or explosive diatreme or picked up along the base of a flowing lava on Earth's surface. A xenocryst is an individual foreign crystal included within an igneous body. Examples of xenocrysts are quartz crystals in a silica-deficient lava and diamonds within kimberlite diatremes.

      See also:

      Blind Leading the Blind: Austin, Snelling and Swenson Misinterpret Dalrymple's K-Ar Dating of Historical Volcanics
      by Kevin R. Henke
      http://www.noanswersingenesis.org.au/blind_leading_blind_kh.htm

      (Henke is a geochemist at the University of Kentucky Center for Applied Energy Research.)
    • bucksburg
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 25, 2013
        In Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com, "Todd Greene" <greeneto@...> wrote:

        > Xenolith
        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenolith

        > A xenolith (Ancient Greek: "foreign rock") is a rock fragment which becomes enveloped in a larger rock during the latter's development and hardening. In geology, the term xenolith is almost exclusively used to describe inclusions in igneous rock during magma emplacement and eruption. Xenoliths may be engulfed along the margins of a magma chamber, torn loose from the walls of an erupting lava conduit or explosive diatreme or picked up along the base of a flowing lava on Earth's surface. A xenocryst is an individual foreign crystal included within an igneous body. Examples of xenocrysts are quartz crystals in a silica-deficient lava and diamonds within kimberlite diatremes.
        Answers in Genesis, 11 articles:
        http://www.answersingenesis.org/search/?q=xenoliths&search=Go

        Creation Ministries, 7 articles:
        New record of polonium radiohalos, Stone Mountain granite
        Xenoliths collected from the same site are devoid of radiohalos, but do contain
        Palm-sized granite and xenolith samples were collected on the south-west side
        creation.com/new-record-of-polonium-radiohalos-stone-mountain-granite- georgia-usa
        Countering the critics (Radio-dating in Rubble)
        They claim that these pieces of old rock (xenoliths) contaminated the sample and gave the very old age. This criticism is unfounded because Dr Austin was …
        creation.com/countering-the-critics-radio-dating-in-rubble
        Contra Rb-Sr dating
        Mixing lines are easily generated by the mixing of material from a fractionated, heavy-Sr isotope xenolith with material from the light-Sr isotope mantle, without …
        creation.com/contra-rb-sr-dating - Cached
        Excess argon within mineral concentrates from the new dacite lava
        However, Heliker27 argues that the gabbroic inclusions are not xenoliths from the aged country rock adjacent to the pluton, but cumulates formed by crystal …
        creation.com/excess-argon-within-mineral-concentrates-from-the-new-dacite- lava-dome-at-mount-st-helens-volcano - Cached
        New radiohalo find challenges primordial granite claim
        The granite contains abundant xenoliths of the country rock. McQueen places the orogony that built the Appalachians at 'Phase III' of the Flood, which starts as …
        creation.com/new-radiohalo-find-challenges-primordial-granite-claim - Cached
        Flood transported quartzites: Part 2—west of the Rocky Mountains
        on the Selah anticline.49 A deep test well in the thick basalt in Pasco Basin may have penetrated gravel quartzites, but they were considered 'xenoliths'.50 …
        creation.com/flood-transported-quartzites-part-2west-of-the-rocky-mountains
        A Christian Response To Radiometric Dating - Creation
        Usually a good geologist can distinguish these "xenoliths" from the younger
        The other term is 'xenolith' which means 'foreign rock', and refers to pieces of
        aufiles.creation.com/images/pdfs/other/5292wiens_dating.pdf
      • Todd Greene
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 25, 2013
          What I have in mind are the numerous cases where young earth creationists cite examples of geochronologists giving dates of xenoliths in lava flows - but young earth creationists ignore the fact that it is the dates for the xenoliths that are being given (i.e., they ignore the details of the research articles) and misrepresent the articles as saying that these are the geological ages given for the lava flows, which are obviously wrong for the lava flows, and thus this shows that radiometric dating for giving geological ages is just all screwed up. But the only way to do this is ignore the fact that it is xenoliths that are being dated, and thus ignore the fact that geologists are not at all even trying to date the lava flows in the first place (in regard to the xenoliths). (Another form of misrepresentation based on ignoring the existence of xenoliths is when young earth creationists accuse geologists of "picking and choosing" only the dates they want because geologists in trying to date ancient strata specifically try to exclude older "foreign" material that has become incorporated in the strata they're trying to find the age of. For example, if a geologist is trying to date a specific lava flow at some ancient time in the past, then - to people who think rationally - he needs to exclude xenolithic material - which is not always so easy to identify. But young earth creationists ignore the very concept of xenolithic material in order to make the argument that geologists are just arbitrarily picking and choosing their dates.)

          See:

          Creationist Claim CD013
          http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/CD/CD013.html

          - Todd Greene