Re: God Discussion Forum takes note of my IRC 107 Petition!

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 18, 2013
      "rlbaty50" <rlbaty@...> wrote:

      > See:
      >
      > http://www.goddiscussion.com/105942/petition-lawsuits-demand-changes-in-tax-perks-favoring-religious-institutions/

      I have been asked to consider taking part in a program sponsored by that venue and in conjunction with the tax issue. We'll see what becomes of that.

      Here's a little more information about that program:

      http://www.goddiscussion.net/2013/02/02/meet-the-hosts-al-and-deborah-on-the-freethought-fridays-and-variety-show/

      MEET THE HOSTS:

      Al and Deborah on the Freethought Fridays and Variety Show

      The Freethought Fridays and Variety Show is our flagship show, launched by Deborah back in August 2009 as a general podcast that covered just about everything over the years.

      Guests have included

      > the founder of Skeptics Bible Annotated;
      >
      > Chris Rodda and Mikey Weinstein of the
      > Military Religious Freedom Foundation;
      >
      > Shirley Phelps-Roper of the Westboro
      > Baptist Church;
      >
      > Dr. Liz Cornwell of the Richard Dawkins
      > Foundation for Reason and Science;
      >
      > Emmy-nominee Thomas Quinn;
      >
      > Dr. Daniel Dennett;
      >
      > famous astrologer Dr. Louis Turi;
      >
      > Dave Silverman, president of American Atheists;
      >
      > Vincent Bugliosi, famous for prosecuting Charles
      > Manson and #1 New York Times Bestselling Author
      > of Helter Skelter;
      >
      > Janet Reitman, author of Inside Scientology and
      > an assistant editor for Rolling Stone magazine;
      >
      > Dr. Darrel Ray, founder of Recovering From Religion;
      >
      > a spokesperson for the Raelian Movement;
      >
      > Cullen Murphy, author of God's Jury and
      > editor-at-large for Vanity Fair magazine;
      >
      > and many others, both famous and not so famous.

      With such diverse views represented on the show, we decided to expand it to different hosts qualified to address specific niches, like Christianity or the New Age.

      The Freethought Fridays and Variety Show will continue to cover diverse topics, such as

      > abusive religions and cults,
      >
      > fiction and non-fiction authors whose work
      > addresses society, religion and/or the supernatural,
      >
      > social news,
      >
      > civil rights issues and
      >
      > freethought.

      The hosts offer a polite environment to discuss issues with people from all walks of life, whether theistic or non-theistic.

      Al Stefanelli is a retired author, writer, journalist and civil rights activist. He is the former Georgia State Director for American Atheists, Inc, and serves on the Board of Directors for The Clergy Project.

      Al began his career in 1985, starting with the New York Times.

      In 1993 he joined a McClatchy newspaper, writing a weekly column for ten years. His writing continues to be widely distributed on the Internet and in print.

      He produced and hosted a weekly syndicated radio broadcast for three years and was the founder and President of the former United Atheist Front, Inc., which functioned as a civil rights organization.

      The United Atheist Front still maintains one of the largest private atheist pages on Facebook.

      Al is also a former Southern Baptist Pastor, having served two churches and as pulpit supply for three counties.

      Al writes news and editorials for God Discussion. He has made numerous appearances on other radio and television programs.

      Deborah Beeksma founded GodDiscussion.com and its accompanying show on BlogTalk Radio in an attempt to bring a reasoned discussion and news forum about religion and its impact on society, whether that influence is for good or for ill.

      Having grown up in a Bible-based cult, Deborah understands how religious extremism can be harmful and has come to the conclusion that there must be a separation of church and state to preserve everyone's religious freedoms, whether theistic or non-theistic.

      Instrumental in the launch of GodDiscussion was Dakota O'Leary, who writes on the site and grew up in the same cult.

      The whole thing started over beer and a Facebook chat, where Dakota and Deborah pondered what it is that makes people so defensive and emotional when it comes to religion. The two thought the site might receive a few hits a day from the "spiritual but not religious" types, and have since been amazed at how many people visit the site and share its content.

      The site burned through three or four servers in order to keep up with the traffic and to carry the thousands of articles published there.

      Alexa rates GodDiscussion in the top 300,000 most visited websites worldwide, and the site has achieved status as a Google news provider.

      Educated in business, law and e-commerce, Deborah is an entrepreneur with a vision to give opportunity and a voice to people from all walks of life and belief systems.

      She played a role in creating the voter-approved Arizona Heritage Fund to preserve the state's environmental and archaeological resources and to fund parks and school activities, and also helped abused women and destitute people through pro bono legal work with a large law firm working with the Martin Luther King, Jr., Center in Dallas, Texas.

      She has a humanistic outlook and does not subscribe to organized religion.

      The Freethought Fridays and Variety Show currently airs two-three Fridays a month and begins at 6 PM Pacific / 7 PM Mountain / 8 PM Central and 9 PM Eastern. While the show is intended to last two hours, it generally extends into three hours because of the depth of the subject material.