Re: Jay Wile, CSHF Inductee, on Matthew Fontaine Maury!

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 14 5:16 PM
      http://www.drwile.com/contact.html

      Your message has been sent to Dr. Wile.
      Typically, he responds to contacts within
      one or two business days.

      From: Robert Baty
      Date: Thursday, February 14, 2013
      Time: About 6:15 PM MT

      I got a message about your induction into the Creation
      Science Hall of Fame, and in browsing around I ran across
      your following presentation:

      http://blog.drwile.com/?p=4647

      I think your representation of Matthew Maury therein is
      not quite accurate and your reference to an article by
      Duane Gish is similarly not quite accurate.

      I have long criticized those who have thought to canonize
      Maury because of their romantic notions about Psalm 8:8
      and what, if anything, it might have had to do with some
      of his life's work.

      I happen to think that Maury pursued his development of
      charts and such based on his empirical observations and
      those of seamen and scientists for centuries (i.e., there
      were paths in the seas). Maury's lament was that there
      weren't popularly available charts and many of the paths
      had not been charted yet.

      As to Psalm 8:8, I think it can be argued that Maury was
      glad to find that God was on his side of the question.

      In any case, the popular stories about him hearing Psalm
      8:8 or reading it and using that to decide to go find those
      paths is an injustice to the history of Maury and man's
      historical knowledge of the sea.

      Since I started my Maury ministry I have noticed that the
      more egregious myths may have been mitigated to some degree,
      but yet the effort to canonize Maury continues.

      I just recently concluded some contentious efforts with Nick
      Lally of the Creation Science Hall of Fame over Maury. I
      did some good, but Nick insists on his canonization of Maury
      for the young-earth creation-science cause.

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 15 5:39 PM
        Jay has responded to my inquiry and we have exchanged a number of emails.

        I don't know if it's over or not.

        Time will tell.

        Perhaps I'll have a report on all of that later.